Plant Identification

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
not sure, I was never into crypts.

I know about wendtii because that was the first species of crypt I kept and the leaves only grew to about 1-2 inches long x 1/2- 1 inch wide.

not sure, I was never into crypts.

I know about wendtii because that was the first species of crypt I kept and the leaves only grew to about 1-2 inches long x 1/2- 1 inch wide.
That's because you kept them in a small tank and stunted their growth ;)

I just got a present from my uncle!

He found Cryptocoryne balansae in the waterfall nearby.
BBD7F122-1803-4D92-9C7F-7EA9522DF725.jpeg

Watch out for 'passengers'.
I will put it in a bucket with water for now, do you have any idea how long they can survive without substrate?

Also, I only have 20w light left, do you think it’s enough for them in 60x30x36cm tank?

do you have any idea how long they can survive without substrate?
That'll depend on how much nutrient is in the water.
Also, I only have 20w light left, do you think it’s enough for them in 60x30x36cm tank?
That'll be a bit on the dim side, to be honest. The plant would survive, but not thrive.
Your tank's outside may measure up at a depth of 36cm, but you'll have substrate in and your water depth will be less. You could also back substrate up to reduce depth, or use rocks/wood to create a terrace.

I really envy you sometimes, Barry, living where all these things grow in the wild. Thanks for sharing these things. Really interesting.

IME C. balansae likes more light than that. It gets pretty tall and gets this weird, almost hammered-copper look to it in nice, bright light.

I really envy you sometimes, Barry, living where all these things grow in the wild. Thanks for sharing these things. Really interesting.
I’ll probably go exploring national park in the area to see if there are any interesting plants or not, will post pictures if there are :)

IME C. balansae likes more light than that. It gets pretty tall and gets this weird, almost hammered-copper look to it in nice, bright light.
I have a biodiversity expert identify this and yes, he said it’s
C. crispatula var. balansae, it’s also based on the fact that I live in southern Thailand.

Grow the plant outside in a pond and when it reproduces, take some of the smaller plants inside for the tank.

Most crypts don't do well when they aren't in the substrate so plant it asap. Be careful not to damage the corm/ rhizome because they rot and the plant will die if it's damaged. Tell your uncle that too. He needs to be careful digging them out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back