Plant identification

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Goggy

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I recently bought this plant that can latch on to driftwood but I forgot the name. In the photo i tied it onto my redroot wood. I also have a BBA problem in a separate tank, any recommendations will be appreciated.

Here is my plant:
IMG_2155.PNG

I would also like some opinions on my aquarium's hardscape and some plant recommendations:
IMG_2154.JPG

the plant on the wood looks like Bolbitis

you need a picture or coloured card on the back of the tank and some tall plants like narrow Vallis along the back

the plant on the wood looks like Bolbitis

you need a picture or coloured card on the back of the tank and some tall plants like narrow Vallis along the back

Thanks for the "lead", I had a feeling it looked like a fern. I was able to find out that the plant looked most similar to Crepidomanes Sp. Malaysia

rn I have a barclaya longifolia behind the driftwood that is still small, but the idea is to get it to tower over the aquarium.
I will certainly look into getting more tall backdrop plants.

I also would like some floating plants, and rn I have tropical hornwort in mind.

Black backgrounds look good

Hornwort is a cold water plant and there are no tropical species. However, if you can find some from a tropical aquarium it should transfer over to your tank without too many issues. Otherwise get some during summer when the pond water is warmer. If you get it in winter the plant will fall apart due to the stress of going from cold to warm water.

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the nicest floating plant and can also be grown in the substrate.

Hornwort is a cold water plant and there are no tropical species. However, if you can find some from a tropical aquarium it should transfer over to your tank without too many issues. Otherwise get some during summer when the pond water is warmer. If you get it in winter the plant will fall apart due to the stress of going from cold to warm water.

Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) is the nicest floating plant and can also be grown in the substrate.

I have exactly that, hornwort in a tropical pond. Also, what do you mean by coldwater, icy cold? Or just relatively cold? I have the tank at a constant 25-26 celsius because of my fissidens nobilis

I have never actually used water sprite as a floating plant, only ever as a plant in my substrate. Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into it.

He means around 20°C.

I once planted up a tank with hornwort from my pond. It looked absolutely lovely for a day; I came down next morning to find a blanket of leaves covering everything in the tank, and just a few, forlorn individuals handing onto the stems. Took ages to clean it all out again :shout:

cold water is unheated and generally less than 20C.

True aquatic plants like hornwort, have thin cell walls and if they experience sudden changes in temperature or salinity the cell walls often rupture and the plant falls apart. Hornwort and marine algae are the worst for this but any aquatic plant that is moved from cold to warm or vice versa, can have problems.

The best time to take hornwort form a pond is during the warmer months when the pond water is above 20C. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back