Plant identification and care?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gemmsy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
Looking to improve my plant health, thought the best way to start would be to get some help in identifying each.
Water tests show co2 levels are good, light is adequate for easy-care plants, nitrates hover between 10-15 before water changes.
I’ve ordered some flourish root tabs in case any aren’t column feeders.
Any other advice welcome :).
Thanks
G
15F7422B-23B1-44B5-B45F-C5D5D0B554ED.jpeg
D87A4B29-B936-44EA-9ED3-4A0F27E46FBF.jpeg
FF272749-B1B1-48FA-8597-EF6C9278138E.jpeg
B07A1061-A129-430D-9C75-E1B3CB9F0A15.jpeg

1 looks like a leggy stand of hygrophila polysperma, needs liquid ferts but is easy.

2 ozelot sword, needs good light to get red and root tabs. Expect the round leaves to melt as the plant changes to a submerged growth.

3 sword plant, will grow larger than an ozelot. Root tab feeder, decent light is appreciated. Expect the tall round leaves to change to submerged growth.

5 vallisneria, will need root tabs.

All of these are good easy plants

Thanks very much!
Im assuming front right (Image four) is also an ozelot that has always been under low light hence no darker shades?
I’ll pop in root tab when they arrive and see how they go.

Hoping the hygrophila will improve initially regardless of fert as it came from a goldfish tank with extremely low light and was uprooted daily. Interestingly it was one of the only plants he wouldn’t actually eat.

Much appreciated.
G

No the other in photo 4 looks more like a standard small sword.

Ozelot have the rust colored spots on the leaves but in good light can turn red.

the sword plant on the right in the vallis pic, looks like a queen of hearts sword, different species to the ozelot and normal amazon, but they all grow the same.

Thanks! Far more sword varieties than I was aware of.
Going to stick with the easy cares for now as they suit the setup. Looking to introduce Egeria Elodia Densa, and dwarf hairgrass next. Potentially Red Tiger Lotus if it will tolerate just over 1000 lumen.

Instead of red tiger lotus, look into Taiwan lily. Its easier to care for doesn't need crazy light and looks fantastic once it grows full (fast growing plant too)

Most red plants need high light and iron supplements.

Some lower tech options are:

Ludwigia (needs liquid ferts, decent lighting, but not crazy, does better in shallow tanks--less than 20 inches deep)

Cryptocoryne plants (some have a nice red tone to them, look into easy ones like the wendtii varieties, just need root tabs)

Rotala, some are red and some are easy

Hygrophila rosanaverig (liquid ferts, decent lighting but has a nice pink colouration.

Ludwigia (needs liquid ferts, decent lighting, but not crazy, does better in shallow tanks--less than 20 inches deep)

Cryptocoryne plants (some have a nice red tone to them, look into easy ones like the wendtii varieties, just need root tabs)

Hygrophila rosanaverig (liquid ferts, decent lighting but has a nice pink colouration.
Brilliant thanks .
That lot will probably stand me in good stead for this and the next tank ha!
At the minute I’m only at 12” depth so the budget LED 36” light is doing fine but I will likely go to 50cm plus in the next tank so I’ll need to upgrade that to something else.

Orders are in ;)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back