Plant Id Purty Pleaaaase! ;p

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ech0o

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My LFS has a large planted tank purely for plants with maybe 30 species of plants.  Upon asking 'The Guy' what these guys were, tucked all the way in the bottom corner behind some ferns, he gave me a bewildered look and began running his finger along the diff. species scientific name tags on the front of the tank, attempting to sound out the genus' of each, followed by what should of been his first response, an "I don't really know".   He did give them to me for the lowest priced tag on the tank, with some prices climbing pretty high (i hope they are something more expensive)!!

http://tinypic.com/r/b7064m/5  here is a picture of it, has really nice marbling, and fuzzy roots growing all the way up the stem.   Also, the parts not getting high light are browning slightly, is it safe to say this type of plant requires high light, and should I co2 the tank for these and the fern i have in the corner?

Any information would be great, thanks!!!

iv never seen anything like it.... it might not be aquatic but if so its not a commonly sold none aquatic... im interested as you 

I think that looks like Pilea cadierei which is non-aquatic.
If you've got open top tank, just stick its roots in the water but keep the leaves above water.

snazy wow you must know your stuff!!!  i was told it wasn't aquatic earlier in the chatroom, but you were able to pinpoint the species!!  i have a fluval chi so i threw a couple up into the plant box on top with the roots under my rocks, we shall see if it will live!   replaced with a java, some dwarf grass and water wisteria.   I had to sit there at PETCO with my smartphone and search each plant because 3 out of 20 types of plants they had WEREN'T EVEN AQUATIC!

It'll do nicely there, snazy is spot on, I have a few in a terrarium.

Shops often pick up non aquatics as they're grown in the same greenhouses as the aquatic emmersed growth and come in in surprise selection bundles to those who don't specify too carefully on orders.

No problem Ech0o. I only recently decided to start planting tropical plants in my tanks as well. It's the easiest way of keeping plants in aquarium :)..... Here are a couple of pictures, nothing fancy but the plants love it.

dscf5098q.jpg

dscf5058w.jpg

Wow that is a really cool tank!!!  Is that dead leaf cover?

Yes, these are oak leaves. The kuhli loaches really like the cover.

You might find this link helpful if you get another plant you want to ID:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myPlants.php?do=homepage&cat=0&page=25&n=All_Plants

Also this one for plants to avoid in an aquarium:
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/content.php?sid=4741
The one you have isn't listed, but I think it's supposed to be about ones commonly sold by LFS as aquatic when they aren't whereas your seems to be quite unusual.

Apologies to TFF if there are in-house versions of these that I don't know about.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back