Plant Id For Two!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

l_l_l

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi!
Please help, I don't know how to care for them and they seem to be having issues :(

Cheers!
51SCQ.png

Sorry I can't help you with an answer but what plants are those in the top right with the LONG roots?

Those are water lettuce, my shrimp love to hide in there! :)
In some states they can be illegal tho, not sure about where you live.

Dwarf sagittaria is the one on the left, not sure about the one on the right but I'd guess bacopa.

l_l_l said:
Those are water lettuce, my shrimp love to hide in there!
smile.png

That's insane, I have dwarf water lettuce myself but mine's roots are maybe 2-3 inches long

daizeUK said:
Dwarf sagittaria is the one on the left, not sure about the one on the right but I'd guess bacopa.
Thanks! It looks like bacopa, I'll take another picture and have more details.
As for the sagitaria I don't think this is it.. I will take more picture as well..
GetItSahn said:

Those are water lettuce, my shrimp love to hide in there!
smile.png

That's insane, I have dwarf water lettuce myself but mine's roots are maybe 2-3 inches long

I don't know man! this lettuce is really enjoying it's life, I give it about 10 hours of light and nothing else.. 

I have a plant that is absolutely identical to yours and it was sold to me as dwarf sagittaria.  If anyone thinks it is not dwarf sag then I'd be interested to know because it means I've been missold! :)

If you google dwarf sagitaria you are going to see that the leaves are much narrower than this..
I have done a bit of research and it appears that it might be a Broad Leaf Sagittaria tho..
Going to know for sure next weekend.

confirmed it is broad leaf sagitarius

I got mine from Aquaessentials. I'm getting pretty cross with them. I even emailed them back to say, Are you sure this is dwarf sag I expected it to be smaller? And they said yeah, yeah. >(

daizeUK said:
I got mine from Aquaessentials. I'm getting pretty cross with them. I even emailed them back to say, Are you sure this is dwarf sag I expected it to be smaller? And they said yeah, yeah. >(

Annoying when this happens! Especially from a site like that, you would expect them to at the very least to know their plants! 

It's the third time AE have fobbed me off and not answered my questions properly. I've been reluctant to say it because everyone else raves about their customer service and it's true they do answer questions quickly, but in my experience they don't always give the right answers.
Right now I'm having problems with another online plants supplier who gave me the wrong species of anubias. Sorry for the rant, I'm getting fed up of wasting my money on the wrong plants.

daizeUK said:
All plants from Aqua Essentials are grown emersed (to be free from snails, chemicals and algae), so can look totally different to the pictures you see online. Once the plant has been established for a while it will change growth habit.

Did the plant come with a label?  Tbf it probably is dwarf sag!  The emersed form has tougher, broader leaves. Looks like my old stuff when I got it.

l_l_l said:
Hi!
Please help, I don't know how to care for them and they seem to be having issues
sad.png

Cheers!

Second vote for a species of Bacopa on the right, possibly B.caroliniana or B.monnieri .  To improve growth try planting the stems an inch apart instead of in a tight bunch. Better light and flow to the leaves and less crowded roots that way
smile.png

All plants from Aqua Essentials are grown emersed (to be free from snails, chemicals and algae), so can look totally different to the pictures you see online. Once the plant has been established for a while it will change growth habit.
Did the plant come with a label?  Tbf it probably is dwarf sag!  The emersed form has tougher, broader leaves. Looks like my old stuff when I got it.
Maybe you're right, the plant was indeed labelled dwarf sag. It hasn't changed growth habits underwater though, it's still a biggun. Perhaps that is due to light levels or some other factor.

I have planted my Bacopa more spaced, but my shrimp keep uprooting them now!
Grrr!
lol

Most reactions

Back