Plant ID and care requirements?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

jkkgron2

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I saw some cool plants at Petco and the worker said they were both fairly easy plants. But, they didnā€™t have any exact labels so all I know is ones an onion plant and the other is a ludwigia. I tried to get the healthiest ones they had. Iā€™m assuming the ludwigia is a high light species because of its red coloring? What plants are they and how do I care for them?
8AAD1CCF-5D9D-4AB0-B283-476CF786ED46.jpeg
39194823-FCF2-4DDB-B91F-BA32188BA3ED.jpeg

The reddish stem plant would seem to be Ludwigia glandulosa. It needs bright lighting, some say very bright, and obviously sufficient nutrition to balance. A comprehensive liquid fertilizer should provide the latter.

The onion plant has crinkly leaves so that would seem to be the African, Crinum natans. Also bright light, and good nutrition. A substrate tab next to the bulb might provide additional nutrients as well as the liquid.

The reddish stem plant would seem to be Ludwigia glandulosa. It needs bright lighting, some say very bright, and obviously sufficient nutrition to balance. A comprehensive liquid fertilizer should provide the latter.

The onion plant has crinkly leaves so that would seem to be the African, Crinum natans. Also bright light, and good nutrition. A substrate tab next to the bulb might provide additional nutrients as well as the liquid.
Thanks for the reply! Iā€™m using ThriveC and a good light along with root tabs. How should I plant the African onion plant? Right now I have most of the roots buried but I couldnā€™t decide if I buried it enough. Thoughts?
F8AFAF88-564F-4950-92E5-0FA2C422DF3E.jpeg

I don't think I ever tried the Crinum plants, but from what I can find the bulb sort of sits on the substrate and then you push it down just a bit. About 2/3 ofg the bulb is above ground as it wer. But if others with direct experience suggest more/less, follow their advice. This also seems to be the narrow-leaf form which apparently can manage with less light than the wider leaf so that should bode well.

I have never seen/used the ThriveC but from what I can find online it should be good.

Great! I did end up pushing it down some more because most of the roots werenā€™t buried but Iā€™ll go bring it back up a bit. Thanks for all the help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back