Plant for driftwood tree?

FishFinatic77

Fish Herder
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
In my 20 gallon tank, I have a piece of driftwood that I stood up like a tree. I wanted to grow a plant over it, so I bought some Monte Carlo. But, my Honey Gourami has decided that Monte Carlo tastes delicious, and he has completely destroyed it. :S
Is there another plant I can use instead? The tank has pretty high light and I dose some Seachem Flourish once per week. I don't use any CO2.
Thanks for any advice and suggestions!

I think anubias might not like the high light.
The tree is pretty big, so I don't know if moss balls would be able to cover it. Might look pretty nice though. I'll have to see.
Christmas moss is a good idea. What would be the best way to attach it? Just tie it on with some string?

I think anubias might not like the high light.
The tree is pretty big, so I don't know if moss balls would be able to cover it. Might look pretty nice though. I'll have to see.
Christmas moss is a good idea. What would be the best way to attach it? Just tie it on with some string?

Tie with string or use Aquarium safe super glue. Not too much as it turns white when dry and can look unsightly.

I really like the Xmas moss and so do all my fish. They spend ages digging in it :rofl:

Cories enjoy it :rofl:

Attachments

• PXL_20201018_112849501.jpg
    PXL_20201018_112849501.jpg
    336.3 KB · Views: 87
I have one more question. Some of the Monte Carlo is still alive. Can I fill a jar with some water and sand, and try to save it?

If you want to get the monte carlo to come back you could set up a container and do whats called the lazy dry start method. Have a look for videos on YouTube but you basically put it over a damp substrate and cover the tank (or container) with cling film. You then rely on the plant feeding itself with Co2 that builds up over night and Oxygen that builds up through the day - quite a few people have good success with this. You still need a light over the top of it though.

Wills

If you want to get the monte carlo to come back you could set up a container and do whats called the lazy dry start method. Have a look for videos on YouTube but you basically put it over a damp substrate and cover the tank (or container) with cling film. You then rely on the plant feeding itself with Co2 that builds up over night and Oxygen that builds up through the day - quite a few people have good success with this. You still need a light over the top of it though.

Wills

Okay, I'll try this. Thanks!

Hmm.. you could look into dwarf baby tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides) as it looks similar to monte carlo and can take to driftwood.

Although, if you don't have co2 it will be very slow growing (not such a bad thing though).

Hmm.. you could look into dwarf baby tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides) as it looks similar to monte carlo and can take to driftwood.

Although, if you don't have co2 it will be very slow growing (not such a bad thing though).

I have looked into dwarf baby tears, but I think they're a little too hard for me grow right now. I also have a feeling my gourami would snack on that too, and dwarf baby tears is kind of an expensive fish food!

I have looked into dwarf baby tears, but I think they're a little too hard for me grow right now. I also have a feeling my gourami would snack on that too, and dwarf baby tears is kind of an expensive fish food!

Haha, yea I was kind of wondering if it would also be an issue with your gourami's munchie madness, esp. since they grow sooo slow w/o co2.

Let us know what ends up working out for ya though! Interested to see how it goes and whatcha decide on =P

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back