plant care

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

BParksJ28

Reaction score
Hi

i always see things like CO2 systems care and fertilizer topics in this forum..

i dont really know what anyone is talking about....i kind of just put what plants i think look nice into the tank and if they live, they live, if they die....those black mollies got them again...lol

well my question is what do i need to have plants in my aquariums. I have a few now, some white acarus (small, they are coming back after my mollies got them) some mondo grass (no one in my tank bothers these and they are growing very well), java fern (doing really well, i have a little baby java fern growing off the end of the largest leaf) and some of the big elephant ear (doing awesome, root system has taken off like crazy)

i have a hang over the back filter with of course carbon in it, so is this the carbon system everyone talks about?

what about fertilizer, should i add that or some kind of plant food.???

thanks

there are a lot of things to consider with a planted tank, Here is a link to a few articles that explains everything quite nicely

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/articles.htm

somebody correct me if im wrong :D

BTW hob filters tend to dissipate c02 and also carbon inside filters tend to filter away liquid fertilizers :D but dont worry hob filters are not really that bad, you just have to use it properly for a planted tank.

I have learned a lot from this plantguide I found. Once I found out there were lots of plants which don't require fancy lighting and CO2 to make them pretty, I have nothing but live plants in my tanks. Check out the low light plants and try them first. If you decide you'd like to get into more variety, you can upgrade your equipment later. I was looking for plants which don't require a lot of maintenance or special equipment to make them look nice. I hope you find some you like!

Plantguide

Most reactions

Back