Plant Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Balticbob

Reaction score
Hi all
Im a bit frustrated,i keep getting algae growth on my plants but i have very little algae growth anywhere else. The flow in my tank is pretty good and has good circulation, i do have co2 injection and co2 is normal range. Nitrates are 0.5,ammonia 0,nitrites 0. I dont know what else to do,ive tried rubbing it off the leaves with my fingers but to no avail.I just remove the most infected leaves but if it carries on my plants will be stripped bear.I also have a large surface growing water sprite with long roots which i was told would benefit my tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.ö

Can u post a pic?

Hi all
Im a bit frustrated,i keep getting algae growth on my plants but i have very little algae growth anywhere else. The flow in my tank is pretty good and has good circulation, i do have co2 injection and co2 is normal range. Nitrates are 0.5,ammonia 0,nitrites 0. I dont know what else to do,ive tried rubbing it off the leaves with my fingers but to no avail.I just remove the most infected leaves but if it carries on my plants will be stripped bear.I also have a large surface growing water sprite with long roots which i was told would benefit my tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.ö

Attachments

• 20201108_175617.jpg
    20201108_175617.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201108_175557.jpg
    20201108_175557.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201108_175640.jpg
    20201108_175640.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 49
Algae growth anywhere is always an imbalance of light and nutrients, too much light not enough nutrients or too many nutrients not enough light.
Tom Barr concluded that the two nutrients that are most responsible for algae is ammonia and C02.
I see that you have CO2 if one doesn't have red plants isn't dosing a lot of nutrients and fertilizers there is no reason for CO2 other than growing algae. Plants need about 17 separate nutrients,one of those is CO2, Co2 is naturally occurring in tanks and in sufficient levels to grow most plants, though if one of those 17 nutrients is in short supply a plant while struggle and Instead algae takes hold. Without all 17 of those nutrients in sufficient supply all the CO2 is doing is feeding algae. Having said that light is a big deal and the fuel that drives photosynthesis, with CO2 growth rate potential increases which requires more light and more nutrients. Without the increased light and increased nutrients to match all that CO2 and extra nutrients will do is grow algae. So one has two choices, increase light and nutrients to match CO2 or eliminate use of CO2 decreasing need for excess nutrients and light and provide enough nutrients to plants. Tomm Barr found that in the presence of excess nutrients like phosphates nitrates potassium had zero effect on algae growth that when plants don't use those excess nutrients they store them but when plants don't have enough nutrients they fail to grow and algae takes hold. The exception was CO2 and ammonia with both in excess or inconsistent levels led to algae growth.
I'd suggest stopping CO2 and getting a comprehensive liquid fert and a comprehensive root tabs. Plants feed two different ways through their roots and through their shoots( leaves) if plants that are root feeders aren't getting their nutrients to their roots they will struggle and algae will take hold. If plants that are water column leaf feeders don't get enough nutrients to their leaves through water column they will struggle and algae will take hold. Balance your light with your nutrients by supplying enough or more if every nutrient plants need and you should see less algae. Keep up on weekly water changes to naturally get rid of excess nutrients like ammonia and replenish essential ion exchange and you should see less algae. Good luck and happy fish tanking!

Algae doesnt look too bad.. this leaf looks like nitrogen deficiency
Screenshot_20201108_174636.jpg

How come your nitrates are so low? Do you use RO water? Do you dose liquid ferts?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back