Plans For A New Mbuna Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tantrix

Reaction score
Hello all! I have been fish-keeping for many years and have had many tanks including 2 x 80 gallon Oscar tanks And 20 to 40 gallon community tanks and presently I have One 25g goldfish tank with 2 goldfish (the pick shows 3 fish but there is only 2 now)

Picture003.jpg

and a 20g community tank with:

1 x otto
3 x neon tetras
2 x dwarf gouramis (both with dwarf gourami disease... arg!!)
7 x zebra dianos
2 x dalmatian mollies

Picture045.jpg

Now about a month and a half ago I got an awesome deal on a 72g bowfront for ....wait for it.....$45 Canadian!! Wow!!! Anyway the tank is in rough shape and it looks like it has been re-caulked in the past(they did a terribly messy job but I will get it cleaned up.) I already did a 24 hour leak test and it passed! OK; here are my questions about Mbuna tank set-up:

• For filtration, I am planning on using a AquaClear 70 - 300gph (good for up to 70g). I will be using this ONLY for mechanical & chemical filtration (I rarely use chemical filtration( carbon/neozorb etc)...only when needed) . I will also use a AquaClear 30 - 150gph filled with ONLY biological media thus making this filter a biological only filter. Over and above this I will be using a 300gph powerhead for aeration. I am also looking into a Rena FilStar xP2. Does this filtration set-up sound logical and adequate?
  • Being from the Niagara Falls area of Ontario; I have ample access to natural river rocks as well as shale and sandstone . My question is... Seeing that our tap water has a ph between 8.2 and 8.4 (which is excellent for african cichlids) would it be counter productive to use some natural driftwood in the tank also (which would naturally lower the ph)?
  • I want as much color as possible in the tank. That being said I would like some suggestions for stocking the tank. I am a webdesigner for a local fish store so getting what I want should be reasonably easy
Picture049.jpg

Thanks in advance for all your help.

**I am not planning on setting up the tank until I build a stand and canopy. This tank will not be set up until February or March next year.**

when it comes to picking fish first decide what you want, mbuna breeding/mbuna all male/peacock breeding/peacock all male. once you decide pick one fish from the group that you can't live without, then it'll be easier for us to help you pick out fish. here's a great place to look at profiles for the different groups.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/index.php

when it comes to picking fish first decide what you want, mbuna breeding/mbuna all male/peacock breeding/peacock all male. once you decide pick one fish from the group that you can't live without, then it'll be easier for us to help you pick out fish. here's a great place to look at profiles for the different groups.

http://www.cichlid-f...files/index.php

GREAT SITE THAT!! Anyway...My main objective is lotsa color... that being said I like the Pseudotropheus and the Metriaclima zebra as an example. Breeding or not doesn't matter to me because if there are fry at some point I have other tanks for raising them in etc.

Hi,

As James says, you need to choose what sort of Malawis you want, and then take things from there.

I had a Mbuna tank.I enjoyed it, but there was a bit too much aggro.

There is also a Hap/Peacock male only tank which you could set up. Very colourful and a bit calmer.

Thanks
Squidward

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back