River stream 53g

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
๐Ÿ† Click to enter! ๐Ÿ†

Love The Rosy Barbs :wub: Their so colourful and make the tank come alive! So much better seening them in your home tank. Almost changing body tones whenever i see them.

They like swimming through the spray bar flow and bubbles from the air stones. They swim from one side to the other against the back of the tank and the light bounces of them making them illuminate and glow. Beauties :#

Get on really well with the Odessa's too which is great. Odessa's dont take no messing around either which is suprising with the size difference.

So glad i went with the barbs now :)

Apparently Rosy barbs dont destory plants!!
Mine obviously didnt get the memo lol my Hornworts a full on all you can eat buffet to them. They absolutely love it:eek:

Apparently Rosy barbs dont destory plants!!
Mine obviously didnt get the memo lol my Hornworts a full on all you can eat buffet to them. They absolutely love it:eek:

This species is omnivorous in nature, feeding on worms, insects, crustaceans, and plant matter. The latter is perhaps the clue. Usually with such species there will be specific plant species targeted, the the sort of leave type the Hornwort has likely makes it especially attractive to such fish.

This would be a good species to try duckweed with; that is highly nutritious for vegetarian-minded fish and it reproduces so fast.

This species is omnivorous in nature, feeding on worms, insects, crustaceans, and plant matter. The latter is perhaps the clue. Usually with such species there will be specific plant species targeted, the the sort of leave type the Hornwort has likely makes it especially attractive to such fish.

This would be a good species to try duckweed with; that is highly nutritious for vegetarian-minded fish and it reproduces so fast.
Ive read they have a tendency to graze on vegetation and hair algae and pick at soft leaves but not eat a plant like they have my hornwort tonight. Must be attractive to them like you say. My Rainbows are omnivores but never nibbled at my plants. Good job i like my Rosy barbs so much :)

Ill try some duckweed, that might take their fancy more.

I just had a golden mystery snail destroy a hornwort plant and damage another in just two days.:mad: I let what little was left float to give it a chance to recover.

I just had a golden mystery snail destroy a hornwort plant and damage another in just two days.:mad: I let what little was left float to give it a chance to recover.
Wow rampaging snail ay! My barbs have just stripped away the top part of the steams so far and hopefully get bored of the taste before they reach the bottom lol

Wow rampaging snail ay! My barbs have just stripped away the top part of the steams so far and hopefully get bored of the taste before they reach the bottom lol
My snail started stripping away from the bottom and only left an inch or two on top on the first one, he then stripped the bottom 6 inches or so on the second one. They both were over a foot tall. The snail is now in my 40 gallon tank which has no plants or fish in it. I had food on the bottom but he passed it up to eat the hornwort.

My snail started stripping away from the bottom and only left an inch or two on top on the first one, he then stripped the bottom 6 inches or so on the second one. They both were over a foot tall. The snail is now in my 40 gallon tank which has no plants or fish in it. I had food on the bottom but he passed it up to eat the hornwort.
Thats one bad snail man!! :mad:

What you planning to do with the 40g since you havent anything in it but a ravenous golden mystery snail?

Was thinking of setting up a natural looking tank with driftwood and rocks and lots of plants but not sure now. I am having issue with the other golden mystery snail going after plants too.

Was thinking of setting up a natural looking tank with driftwood and rocks and lots of plants but not sure now. I am having issue with the other golden mystery snail going after plants too.

Double trouble! Ive got a few Assassin snails i can send over and have a word with them if you like :#

Well i lost a fish tonight but gained another!

Did my normal check up on the tanks and spotted one of my danios was missing out my middle tank. After a good search i sadly found her at the side of my sponge filter :( done a check on the water param's and everything is spot on so not sure why she died :rip:

Checked the big tank then, started counting and found i had 1 extra female Rosy barb. (Had them a week :rolleyes:) Their so active tho, it can be hard to count them. Staff must of miss counted in the shop. Thought i was going mad when i kept getting 7!

Last edited:
Few new additions this weekend now Barbs have all settled in.
6 otocinclus dwarf catfish and some Amano Shrimp :)

20200105_191724.jpg
20200105_191922.jpg
20200105_191424.jpg
20200105_191336.jpg
20200105_191900.jpg
20200105_191613.jpg

Was worried how much id see the oto's but so far their really active. Good healthy bunch with nice rounded bellies would like a few more but wanted to see how they got on first.

Overall im really pleased with this tank. All plants looking good (Rosy barb are now leaving my hornwort :yahoo:) fish all settled in and the MTS are keeping my sand nice and clean.

Happy days :drinks:

20200111_193928.jpg
20200111_193938.jpg
20200110_092748.jpg

Happy fish keeper tonight.

Otocinclus have started eating cucumber and grazing on almond leaves i put in Thursday night. Big relief since they had the tank gleaming within days.

Amano shrimp was shy first few days but all have been out the last 4 days hovering my driftwood.

Will now up my numbers of Amano's and fingers crossed ill add some more oto's in a month or so if all is good

View attachment 96371View attachment 96372View attachment 96373
Happy fish keeper tonight.

Otocinclus have started eating cucumber and grazing on almond leaves i put in Thursday night. Big relief since they had the tank gleaming within days.

Amano shrimp was shy first few days but all have been out the last 4 days hovering my driftwood.

Will now up my numbers of Amano's and fingers crossed ill add some more oto's in a month or so if all is good
Those leaves look cool. I really want otos but keep hitting cancel before buy now :). My community tank is already ridiculously overstocked and the numbers are slowly growing. I seem to have a few more pencilfish every month and this week I found some juvenile pepper cories. The other tank that is big enough is nicely stocked but the little kubotai are quite prolific breeders and at the current rate will be joining my list of overstocked tanks :rolleyes:

Those leaves look cool. I really want otos but keep hitting cancel before buy now :). My community tank is already ridiculously overstocked and the numbers are slowly growing. I seem to have a few more pencilfish every month and this week I found some juvenile pepper cories. The other tank that is big enough is nicely stocked but the little kubotai are quite prolific breeders and at the current rate will be joining my list of overstocked tanks :rolleyes:
Sounds like you could set up your own fish store soon:rofl:. congrats on the coriers man, thats some going having them breeding successful.

Oto's are amazing, i really like the way they go about their habbits. Hopefully up my group once i know they can thrive ok in my tank. Id get some if you can Sean, they cant have a very big bioload and you will just have to get another tank if numbers get to much :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back