River stream 53g

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

No sorry. What is your plant stocking list? :)

Amazon sword
Amazon chain sword
Amazon frogbit
Hornwort
Rotala indica

Maybe's:
Water wistera
Water sprite
Java fern
Crypocoryne wendtii
Anubis nana :)

Well I definitely want a mixture. I was think 5-6 silvertip tetras and my Albino bristle nose pleco. Along with snails and some shrimp. Would adding a Ram in there be an over stock? And if so, what would I need to remove? :)

Filtration depends upon the fishes' needs respecting water movement and to some degree "filtration" itself. Which is why I mentioned species. Here you have Silvertip Tetras which prefer a bit of current, so that would mean a filter than can provide it (not a torrent, just a bit of flow down the tank). But the ram likes quiet water, so in a 20g tank this is not going to work very well. There is also the temperature issue with the ram, at minimum 80F, and this will push the tetras a bit because being more active they prefer slightly cooler temperatures. Third issue...males (Silvertip) can be territorial and sometimes nippy, but when kept in larger groups with swimming space are not troublesome. A 20g Long is not going to provide this, with the ram present. The Silvertips on their own in a larger group could work (substrate fish are OK but no other upper level fish).

Anyone had experince with Cryptocoryne wendtii?

What they like to grow?
Got some a couple of months ago, small number of leaves melted, slow on growing new leaves but I love the look of them. Just added root tabs to try and get them growin g.

Brill let me know :good: what tank you putting it in?
Going in both of the smaller (Asian) tanks. I have decided to do the same light dark zone thing as in the community tank and want something that's easy and will (hopefully) grow on the bright side of the tank.
Got some a couple of months ago, small number of leaves melted, slow on growing new leaves but I love the look of them.
Yeah I understand that's expected :(. How long did it take before they came back?

Amazon sword
Amazon chain sword
Amazon frogbit
Hornwort
Rotala indica

Maybe's:
Water wistera
Water sprite
Java fern
Crypocoryne wendtii
Anubis nana :)
Nice! Have you considered getting some Anacharis? They are very easy to grow, and are fairly inexpensive. :)

Filtration depends upon the fishes' needs respecting water movement and to some degree "filtration" itself. Which is why I mentioned species. Here you have Silvertip Tetras which prefer a bit of current, so that would mean a filter than can provide it (not a torrent, just a bit of flow down the tank). But the ram likes quiet water, so in a 20g tank this is not going to work very well. There is also the temperature issue with the ram, at minimum 80F, and this will push the tetras a bit because being more active they prefer slightly cooler temperatures. Third issue...males (Silvertip) can be territorial and sometimes nippy, but when kept in larger groups with swimming space are not troublesome. A 20g Long is not going to provide this, with the ram present. The Silvertips on their own in a larger group could work (substrate fish are OK but no other upper level fish).
Ok, what if I wanted to have a ram no matter what. What other shoaling fish could I add in with him?

Ok, what if I wanted to have a ram no matter what. What other shoaling fish could I add in with him?

Warm water and peaceful fish...cardinal tetras, and the closely-related false or green neon (but not the true neon, much too warm). If this is a 20g long, rummynose tetras. The issue here is that all of these are lower-half residents. I would need to consult my notes for other level fish that can handle the warmth, there are some but my memory isn't what it was.

Nice! Have you considered getting some Anacharis? They are very easy to grow, and are fairly inexpensive. :)
Not for this tank but i do have Anacharis in my 29g. Your dead right they grow really well

Warm water and peaceful fish...cardinal tetras, and the closely-related false or green neon (but not the true neon, much too warm). If this is a 20g long, rummynose tetras. The issue here is that all of these are lower-half residents. I would need to consult my notes for other level fish that can handle the warmth, there are some but my memory isn't what it was.
Ok, so 1 ram, and a group of either rummy nose tetras, or Cardinal tetras?

Rotala indica & Chain swords in.
20191109_115317.jpg

Other plants on order. Not sure what i want to go on the right side yet. Still very much needing to sort a background.

Had play sand for this tank and i really like it but im finding because its so fine my air stones are lifting the sand up and its dropping back down and covering my driftwood. Ive purchased a value to lower the air flow going into the tank so hopefully sorts the problem out. Got another plan if not.

:)

Last edited:
Nice - are you planning to let the front carpet over?

Nice - are you planning to let the front carpet over?
Im going to see how it goes as a bit of an experiment. Not sure i want the whole floor covering yet. With me not running Co2 i dont think it will send off too many runners tho. Not holding my breath, i had some corkscrew vallis in before what didnt do great

I'll look out for pics in a couple of months then. I tried unsuccessfully to carpet the nano. I did consider dwarf chain sword but the only time I used that many years ago it went completely nuts and I had to mow the lawn weekly. In fairness that was a high tech (high light, CO2 and ferts) tank.

My crypts went in this morning. As always with the tropica stuff I received more than I expected. Ordered 2 for 2 tanks and ended up splitting both plants, so if it works out some will probably end up in the community tank. I also planted some Hygrophila corymbosa Siamensis 53B. This was intended for the nano and I ended up splitting it 3 ways and each tank got some - especially as the label promised it would reach 30cm in 30 days :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back