River stream 53g

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tried to get some descent pic's of the new additions but they didnt want to play ball :snap:
20200228_173605.jpg
20200228_173500.jpg
20200228_173028.jpg
20200228_173527.jpg
20200228_173111.jpg

20200228_171955.jpg
20200228_173215.jpg
20200228_173321.jpg
20200228_174826.jpg
20200228_175119.jpg

:fish::fish::fish:

Had some really good footage of my male Ruby's dancing off to each other this morning but i managed to lose it somehow. I was able to quickly catch the females doing it, which is still a lovely site. (Not the best video im affraid) Ill try catch the males at it another time.

All have settled in now and are friends having sorted out the new pecking orders etc. A male Ruby (Rambo) is now tank king :flex: you will see him patrolling centre of the tank in the video.

Id recommend barbs to anyone, they are stunning fish and so interesting to watch. Their colours are mesmerising.

@Byron You wasnt wrong with the Rubys being beautiful. Unreal to see up close :)

@Byron

Could you tell me why the barbs dance off like this please? (not sure what the technical term is called) My male Odessa do it all the time and i always thought it was to impress the females but now the female ruby's are doing it im thinking its some kind of ritual to sort their pecking order out.

@Byron

Could you tell me why the barbs dance off like this please? (not sure what the technical term is called) My male Odessa do it all the time and i always thought it was to impress the females but now the female ruby's are doing it im thinking its some kind of sorting their pecking order out.
To show off to the females? That’s my best guess.

That might be it, I know a few species were the females try to show off to the males.

@Byron

Could you tell me why the barbs dance off like this please? (not sure what the technical term is called) My male Odessa do it all the time and i always thought it was to impress the females but now the female ruby's are doing it im thinking its some kind of ritual to sort their pecking order out.

We (aquarists) like to consider this as "play," but I am certain it is far more serious to the fish than simple play. Though that may enter into it. It can be a means of establishing the hierarchy within the shoal, and/or it can be a serious matter of dominance. It is one reason why these fish absolutely must have a group; this is normal behaviour that the fish engage in because it is programmed into their DNA.

This can sometimes be a precursor to subsequent spawning, but not always. And this "dance" is alwasys between two males, at least in my experience and from my research.

Almost all species of characin (tetras, hatchets, pencils, Characidium) and cyprinids (barbs, danios, rasboras, loaches) will engage in this or similar. When I had my group of five Botia kubotai (gave them away when I moved last May as I no longer have a tank large enough) there were two that happened to be the largest that used to do this for hours at a time; I would see them doing the "loach dance" as it is commonly referred to first thing in the morning, and mid-afternoon they were still dancing. They spun around in a circle, different from the "dance" of the barbs here, head to tail. Loaches "grey out" during this interaction, which refers to their becoming rather dull grey with minimal patterning; just the opposite of the "dance" between most of the other cyprinids and characins where colour is usually intensified.

We (aquarists) like to consider this as "play," but I am certain it is far more serious to the fish than simple play. Though that may enter into it. It can be a means of establishing the hierarchy within the shoal, and/or it can be a serious matter of dominance. It is one reason why these fish absolutely must have a group; this is normal behaviour that the fish engage in because it is programmed into their DNA.

This can sometimes be a precursor to subsequent spawning, but not always. And this "dance" is alwasys between two males, at least in my experience and from my research.

Almost all species of characin (tetras, hatchets, pencils, Characidium) and cyprinids (barbs, danios, rasboras, loaches) will engage in this or similar. When I had my group of five Botia kubotai (gave them away when I moved last May as I no longer have a tank large enough) there were two that happened to be the largest that used to do this for hours at a time; I would see them doing the "loach dance" as it is commonly referred to first thing in the morning, and mid-afternoon they were still dancing. They spun around in a circle, different from the "dance" of the barbs here, head to tail. Loaches "grey out" during this interaction, which refers to their becoming rather dull grey with minimal patterning; just the opposite of the "dance" between most of the other cyprinids and characins where colour is usually intensified.
Thanks for that Byron, it does look like they are establishing the hierarchy. The Odessa males seem to get involed dancing off with the female Rubys also.

Hopefully sort their order out in the coming days

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back