Planning On Keeping Discus...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
as an alternative to R/O water could I go for an HMA filter or a nitragon to remove nitrates? they have the added benefit of not producing waste water too. Does an HMA filter remove nitrates?

Thanks for all of the good advice :good:

I'm actually located in stevenage - north hertfordshire, itself just north of london

We're all telling you not to use anything. Why would you want to spend money wastefully? Save it to buy some super nice Discus.

We're all telling you not to use anything. Why would you want to spend money wastefully? Save it to buy some super nice Discus.

:lol: that made me chuckle - very to the point.

I'm not ignoring your advice but I was thinking that I still need to think of some way to get rid of the nitrate that comes out of the tap. Is that not the case? would rather spend more money and make sure that my fish are not just surviving if that makes sense

thanks for the tip on chens discus by the way - just spent a good hour poring over the pictures going 'wow'

:lol: that made me chuckle - very to the point.

I'm not ignoring your advice but I was thinking that I still need to think of some way to get rid of the nitrate that comes out of the tap. Is that not the case? would rather spend more money and make sure that my fish are not just surviving if that makes sense

thanks for the tip on chens discus by the way - just spent a good hour poring over the pictures going 'wow'

Lol.

Well if you have a lot of plants you can probably get away with it. Especially if you buy adult Discus and do frequent and small water changes (plants will use nitrates as food.) Using something like Prime should help to detoxifies nitrates also.

Glad you like Chens. I wish I was in the UK so I could get a few of his Discus :p . You will start off much better getting fish from him.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I've been in touch with Chens and they were very helpful. Just as a final check I also requested a breakdown of my water from the water supplier and their numbers were quite different to my water tests (is that common?). They say;

Nitrate 18.4 - 31.5
total hardness - 328 mg/l
carbonate hardness - 131 mg/l
ph - 7 - 7.8

the hardness numbers are a fair bit higher than the ones I quoted but if these are still in the realms of ok then that won't be a problem but just wanted to check (especially as I only got the water report through today)...can anyone advise if these numbers would cause problems using tap?

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I've been in touch with Chens and they were very helpful. Just as a final check I also requested a breakdown of my water from the water supplier and their numbers were quite different to my water tests (is that common?). They say;

Nitrate 18.4 - 31.5
total hardness - 328 mg/l
carbonate hardness - 131 mg/l
ph - 7 - 7.8

the hardness numbers are a fair bit higher than the ones I quoted but if these are still in the realms of ok then that won't be a problem but just wanted to check (especially as I only got the water report through today)...can anyone advise if these numbers would cause problems using tap?

No, I wouldn't be worried. Similar to my water excluding the Nitrates. I think because your Nitrates are a little high, if I were you I would get some adult sized discus and plant the tank, doing small frequent water changes, on top of this using prime as a dechlorinator just to be on the safe side (although it's probably over kill lol.) It will still save you money on a useless HMA/R/O unit.

thanks again for the advice :good:

will be a while until I get the tank up and running (especially as we're moving house first) but will keep you updated.

Cheers
Andy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back