Planning a tank with seahorses!!!(dwarf probably)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Iwannaseahorse

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a plan for a dwarf sea horse tank but I just want other people's thoughts on this to make sure it's good! So, I would want a fluval Evo, 5 gallons. I would probably have 12-16 dwarf seahorses as I read you can have 4 per gallon and I want to go easy since I'm just starting with them. I would have some dry rock(because I don't want anything hurting them that could be coming in) with some macroalgae and other plants that the seahorses will like. I've read that having coral with dwarves isn't a good idea as the treatment for hydroids kills coral but I really want some so I will have a small live rock with 2-3 frags on it. If I need to I will sacrfice the corals but I just really wanted a few. I will add some other seahorse friendly decorations that they can hang onto. Also, I will turn the overflow speed to the lowest it can be for the seahorses! For substrate I will use a thin bed of sand. Am i missing anything? Any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Have you kept fish at all before now?

I only ask as, even though dwarves are tougher than many seahorse species, they are still quite difficult and if you're a complete newcomer to the hobby, I would really, really recommend you 'practise' on something a bit easier first!

Have you kept fish at all before now?

I only ask as, even though dwarves are tougher than many seahorse species, they are still quite difficult and if you're a complete newcomer to the hobby, I would really, really recommend you 'practise' on something a bit easier first!
Yes I have had a little experience in both but not too much?

So you're familiar with the nitrogen cycle, cycling a filter, using test kits, doing water changes and raising live foods?

All but the live food. I would make sure I have success with raising baby brine shrimp before setting up the tank! Otherwise all good!

Get the tank cycled and give it a go, if you feel confident!

I would definitely forget about the corals; they can be quite difficult to keep and the risk of infecting the seahorses with something is quite high.

Do let us know how things go; I'd love to keep seahorses myself, but I've always been too scared!

Thanks so much! I will try to set it up but I may not be able to. Hoping one day I can! When I do, I'll be back!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back