Planes, Trains & Automobiles--Scale Modeling

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Pennsylvania Flyer 0 scale train/ car model layout with a Route 66 theme:

This 0 scale layout is about 55 inches high and is set on top of an upright player piano on double layers of 8 inch wide fir boards cut to the 60 inch be 30 inch oval size and has a chrome border. This setup would make moving the layout fairly easy. It features ceramic diners and 2 ceramic buildings, 3 Miller Engineering signs, 1/43 scale diecast cars and is remote or bluetooth controlled. The Rt 66 motel is custom made. Lighting is in handmade led fixtures and all wiring is hidden. Enjoy the trip on route 66!

That is AWESOME! I use to have a glass showcase of replica vintage cars. I’d give a new one to my sons and hubbie every Christmas. Finally got tired of dusting them all and gave them to my grandson to play with. Guess I shouldn’t have done that. :(

That is AWESOME! I use to have a glass showcase of replica vintage cars. I’d give a new one to my sons and hubbie every Christmas. Finally got tired of dusting them all and gave them to my grandson to play with. Guess I shouldn’t have done that. :(
At least now your grandsons are happy! :)

Been looking at my modeling stuff. I think it's time to blow the dust off it and get to work. A guy I work with wants me to build his 1/72 scale C-130 Hercules. He was in the Coast Guard but the kit has Air Force decals. A little searching on the internet turned up a source for CG decals. Boy will he be surprised.

Been looking at my modeling stuff. I think it's time to blow the dust off it and get to work. A guy I work with wants me to build his 1/72 scale C-130 Hercules. He was in the Coast Guard but the kit has Air Force decals. A little searching on the internet turned up a source for CG decals. Boy will he be surprised.
That sounds like a lot of fun!!

Is that Hercules a world war II plane? I looked on amazon and it looks like a 4 prop plane.

Is that Hercules a world war II plane? I looked on amazon and it looks like a 4 prop plane.
Yes, it is a big (very big) propeller driven aircraft. Not sure but think it is late Korea, early Vietnam vintage. It is famous for being able to lift and fly massively heavy loads. It loads through a ramp in the back.
Saw a show on PBS one time about the evacuation of Siagon at the end of Vietnam. A C-130 was so packed with people the pilot thought it was too overloaded to fly but he got it airborne with just a couple feet left of runway. A legendary aircraft.

I built a wooden stick model of a Cessna plane and I hung it from the ceiling in front of a large map of the world in my office room. Kit is made by Guillows. I’ll post a pic soon

Last edited:
I built a wooden stick model of a Cessna plane and I hung it from the ceiling in front of a large map of the world. I’ll post a pic soon
Can't wait to see it. Sounds like the beginnings of a diorama. With your train set up this could go that way. When I was a kid I went to a barber who had this amazing diorama in his shop. There was a huge paper mâché mountain with a tunnel that the train went through, a little town with cars and people and an airplane that went in circles on a wire. Top that Cost Cutters.

Here are some pics. The train setup is not in the same room but I do have my 10 gallon tank below the huge map
EC8A37D4-CC52-4E59-AAE6-001386388B4E.jpeg
13D747D6-1AAF-477C-87B6-DAB95E88CECA.jpeg
4903FB9B-58C3-4445-9519-F141B3BE8288.jpeg

Hey man ! That's not a Cessna made of sticks. That's the real deal. That's a balsa rubber powered model that only needs the covering. That is totally awesome. I like that. You're holding out on us.:)
Edit: Okay, I re-read your post. It's a Guillows kit. I thought you were goofing around. My bad. But I stand by my assessment. That IS totally awesome.

I decided not to cover the framework as I like to display the work that went into building it.. yes it does have a rubber band “motor” and if covered with paper, it would fly.

I also build the metal art kits by Metal Earth. These are tiny models. Dozens of parts come on thin flat metal sheets. You cut out each part and then you form and then attach the pieces via tiny tabs using tweezers. It requires patience and dexterity. Pics to follow

Last edited:
image.jpg
Bought this book recently to learn more about framework built balsa models. I was flabbergasted to find out the amount of technical aeronautic stuff involved. These are not toys or models. They are functional aircraft. If you have ever seen the original Flight of The Phoenix Mr. Dorffman (Hardy Krueger) gives Captain Townes (Jimmy Stewart) quite the little lecture on model verses real airplanes. Well guess what ? Mr. Dorffman is quite correct. I agree with you about the covering material. I too want to show off the work involved. Maybe a guy should buy two kits at a time. One for show and one for go. Oh, I like the clocks above your map. A nice detail.

here are a few of my miniature metal models. For an example of the complexity, each wheel of the Humvee is composed of 7 tiny parts held together by bending tiny tabs. The Humvee is about 3 inches long.

07077AF7-E3A5-4798-8C63-30827DEF780E.jpeg
8D082E97-6715-4A32-9D64-31345B7B8B42.jpeg
324B42E8-D56E-4062-970E-E810B4085C8C.jpeg
0EC48C4E-F89C-43CB-853B-86F418088917.jpeg
BC898112-5F8A-48A9-A5F4-6FC32CC2CFE6.jpeg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back