Pistol Shrimp And Shrimp Gobies

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shovelman

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey there all! hope im not pestering anyone with my frequent posts.....
So! I was thinkin about the pistol shrimp and shrimp goby combo's and was wondering if any of you guys/gals have ever had experience with them! If so, what kind of shrimp and goby, how often do you see them, and did your pistol shrimp have any 'problems' with other inverts or shrimp?

I think you're going to need a bigger tank to fit everything you like :p

lol steph i was going back and forth between ideas.... not everything we talked about is fitting in there...nooo way! My idea now is a pair of clowns, shrimp goby and pistol shrimp! plain and simple :D and of course..a snail or two...

I was personally considering this as well. My main concern however is all the sand that is being piled up from the shrimp whenit burrows. This of course is a personal preferance since I've kept kribensis and didn't like the giant piles of sand in one spot and hardly any somewhere else. Another issue that I have seen I a natural environment in a video is they eat other shrimp. Whether they will do this in aquariums I'm not sure but is definately something to consider. I'm definately interested in what others more experienced will say since my tank is still in planning and I am considering it.

Here ya go

Yasha haze goby with a candy cane pistol shrimp. They built their burrow at the front of my rock structure so I saw them every day.

100_6810.jpg

100_6814.jpg

100_6816.jpg

100_6296.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys/gals!
-kj23502 wonderful pictures! The pistol shrimps are alot smaller than what i expected, know of any larger species?
-GrayScale! I havent heard from you or seen you on chat for a long time! Ive read numerous articles about people keeping pistol shrimps with other shrimps with out a problem, as the cleaner shrimps appearently stayed on the rocks where as the pistol shrimp just stays in or around its burrow. If there was confrontation i also read the pistol shrimp would fire but wouldnt necessarily kill or eat the shrimp...but i havent had any experience yet..

Larger species are more dangerous in our tanks. More likely to eat small fish and snails. Like the tiger pistol.

Haha no kidding shovel, haven't had much time to join in on the chat due to work but I am still pretty active on the forums. I'm just about ready to set up my equipment a link to my journal is in my signature.

What both of you had stated makes perfect sense. Smaller species won't necessarily eat or snap at larger shrimp such as peppermint or cleaner shrimp. And from tanks I've seen the cleaners normally do stick to the rocks.

How big are the mounds of sand these little guys create? It's obviously got to be big enough for the shrimp and the goby.

I think I had 3-4" of sand in my DT with the rock resting on the bottom. They don't create that big of a mound at all. Their house was that front right bit of rock. They dug out underneath that rock. Edit: This pics was probably taken in November. They had been added in April, I believe. Didn't move a whole lot of sand.

038-2.jpg

Grayscale i will follow your journal with great interest!
And for the rest of you folks, Ive decided to go with a seperate idea.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back