Pistol shrimp and sea hare?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bluebird42

Reaction score
Hello. I recently had to remove a cleaner shrimp from my tank because it was attacking my sea hare. The saltwater shop falsely told me that things don't bother sea hares. That is obviously not true.
The only other shrimp I have in my tank is a pistol shrimp? Should I remove him too for the safety of the slug, or will he leave him alone? I do not trust what said shop tells me anymore.

What sort of cleaner shrimp did you have and what was it doing?

How big is the sea hare?
What are you feeding the sea hare?

What else is in the tank?

As a general rule pistol shrimp are more aggressive than cleaner shrimp but they live in the substrate or under rocks and don't go chasing things around the tank. Cleaner shrimp will try to clean anything that moves but don't normally attack or harm things.

Sea hare is about 3 inches, the shrimp is about 2 inches. I feed the hare dried seaweed and hair algae.
I have 2 gobys, 2 chromis, a brittle star, snails, a scallop, and a conch.

What sort of cleaner shrimp do you have and what is it doing to the sea hare?

Do you feed the cleaner shrimp?
If yes, what and how often?
Shrimp have high metabolisms and eat a lot. Even tho they get sold as cleaners (and they do clean up excess food and fish), they usually need supplemental feeding in an aquarium. Make sure you feed them at least once a day.

How big is the tank?

Don't take this the wrong way, but I assume the tank has an established filter? Just checking :)

Chromis do best in groups of 6 or more. If the tank has room then perhaps get more.

If the sea hare gets sick or dies, remove it immediately because they can release chemicals into the water and poison everything.

He was picking at his anus, causing a wound. I put in multiple different types of food for scavengers. I did some research and cleaner shrimp do kill slugs, so I am returning the shrimp. I do not remember the name of the shrimp but he is bright red with a white stripe. Yes my tank has a carbon filter, and yes I am careful with the slug.
Do you think the pistol shrimp of mine is gonna harm the slug?

Also, do I need to worry about my brittle star eating fish (...or my slug)? He is a grey/black one that hides in rocks all the time

brittle stars are harmless and don't hurt anyone.

redline cleaner shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis) are normally very peaceful and I have never seen them cause problems to other things in the tank, but I don't keep nudibranchs because they always die :(

pistol shrimp shouldn't bother the sea hare unless the shrimp gets real hungry, then it will go after anything it can. But if you feed them each day they shouldn't bother anything.

I am very worried the slug is going to end up in the shrimps territory and will get attacked
If that happens no doubt I would lose the slug, since they are so helpless.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back