Piranha Tank Size

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishfan0806

Reaction score
Hi I am thinking of getting a single Red Belly Piranha (for now), would a lone Piranha be ok in a 30 litre UK tank (for a short amount of time) I will get a much bigger tank in the future. 

Also does anyone know of any predatory fish that can be kept in a 30 Litre (if a piranha cannot) as this type of fish fascinates me!

if you are talking about a red belly piranha, you should have at least a 50 gallon tank for one,

that is the minimum size i would recommend

One adult piranha would need a minimum 30 gallon to itself, plus 20 gallons for any additional piranhas you may have so I would just wait until you get the bigger tank before you get a piranha because they rapidly grow to 5 inches in around a year.

laurac94 said:
One adult piranha would need a minimum 30 gallon to itself, plus 20 gallons for any additional piranhas you may have so I would just wait until you get the bigger tank before you get a piranha because they rapidly grow to 5 inches in around a year.

in my opinion a 30 gallon tank would be too small for even one red belly,

I agree with the above... a 30 gal is too small for 1. Id say 50gal minimum for a single red belly. I had 5 red bellys... 1 got killed by the rest quite early on so obviously i was left with 4... then out of nowhere my biggest RB turned psycho and killed the rest. He was crazy. Mine where in a 125 gal so plenty of room, plenty of hiding places and so on. Despite what ppl say red bellys are not killing machines lol they are actually very shy and dont do much. Just tend to stay in 1 part of the tank, they need lots of cover as they hate light. Although... as i said, my remaining piranha was a nut job. I couldnt ever put my hand in the tank to clean it or move anything without him darting for my fingers. He was just over 7 inches when he was rehomed. I didnt have any problems putting my hands in before he decided to go crazy lol

dbanner said:
Despite what ppl say red bellys are not killing machines lol they are actually very shy and dont do much. Just tend to stay in 1 part of the tank

yeah i agree,

i hate to say this, but other than feeding time, piranhas are actually very boring fish to keep, they tend to just sit in one spot most of the time like they are "treading water" so to speak, they dont do alot of swimming no matter how big the tank is

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back