Pinocchio Shrimp tank in a hurry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

eatyourpeas

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Well, I just got a Caridina gracilirostris from my LFS and I am suspecting he was a stowaway since there are no brackish aquariums there. He is a cute little dude and if I take him back he'll probably die, as I do not think they'll bother setting up a brackish tank just for him.

I am prepared to set a QT tote and get the salinity right for him, but have never cycled a brackish tank. What do I need? I have the following ready to go:
- Aquarium salt
- Heater
- Sponge Filter
- 5 gallon tote
- LED light
- API Stress Coat
- API Quick Start
- Thermometer
- Clean sand
- Extra Anacharis

I have a 3 gallon FW aquarium that can be changed for him once I move Nicodemus (pea puffer) to his 6 gallon tank. Willing to move all the bladder snails out, and whatever plants do not like salinity. The tank currently has an Aqueon Quiet Flow 3 gallon internal filter. The tank dimensions are 18" x 5.5" x 7.1" and has a gravel substrate, but have sand on hand if I need that changed. He, Bugie (short for bugiardo) will be by himself.

He is so silly adorable and the thought of him not making it is not a fun one. Any advice to help me make this transition happen is greatly appreciated. It is night time here, so nothing will happen until tomorrow PST.

Having read about brackish aquarium, it looks like I need:
- Marine salt
- Refractometer (I have one but is for sugar) :( Or should I look into ion metering? - I may need to get a new job to afford that one!

Meet Bugie. He made it through the night and is eating well.

1612546543215.png

Good job taking care of him "on the fly", he's cool looking!

Still trying to figure out the tank. Have to wait to get the marine salt via mail as LFS does not have any marine supplies. Got heater and filter sorted out, though.

Neat!
What length is he/she, would you guess?

MM?
I thought you were in the US, where metrics scare us? :lol:

Ah, I am Italian. Go figure. Also, I am guessing he is a male as I see no signs of large pleopods or saddle, but who knows, he may be fibbing on that one too.

Bugie and the Gang.

1612649157467.png

He moves to his new tank tomorrow. This tank will get Nicodemus (pea puffer) and Bugie will have a brackish tank all to himself.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back