Pinned Topics

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OldMan47

Livebearer fanatic
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
We had a short run thread in one section shortly after I closed a pinned topic. The topic was intended to give advice on a topic and had been pinned because it contained decent information in it. Since the topic was intended to be a reference, it seemed to me appropriate to close it and leave it as a reference.
Other topics in other places are things like the "Pin me" thread at the top of this section. Its intent is to give people a place to leave a particular type of comment. The Meet the Members topic in another section is also like that.It gives people a place to post about their interests and needs to be pinned just to keep it from drifting off the top page.
The MODs now have a discussion going about what guidance we all want to follow when we pin a topic. Since it is something we have never asked the general population before, I thought it might be a good idea to get some insight from our members on what we should be doing with a newly pinned topic or any guidelines we might want to use to determine whether to close a pinned topic.

Personally I see pinned topics as reference, not a place for conversation, and could well be locked. There are exceptions though.

I agree with chrisbassist
Anyone looking for a quick and concise answer won't want to trawl through countless posts when a pinned topic should be ideally a single post,containing the relavant information as per it's title.The forum is the place for open discussions and should be used for that.

I'd like to know why someones journal was pinned when it is no different to any other, the only difference being size and cost...

Are you talking about T1KARMANN's? Personally I think that should be pinned as it can inspire so many fishkeepers, and isn't just any old journal. Maybe some of the best planted tanks could be pinned as well?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back