Pink Danio's

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

i don't know how i feel about the GM fish, but I WOULD like to point out that this wasn't done to make a quick buck. It was done so that scientists could see the fish easily while using them as an indicator in water quality. I'm not trying to open the debate on the use of animals in scientific experiments, which is probably as fruitless as this debate, only to point out that these were not created to be pets or to "make a quick buck".

But it plainly is to make a quick buck (or pound in my case) otherwise why would fish modified for scientific reasons in the u.s end up in my local shop in london selling for silly prices. I see what you are saying but surley this is another case of a LFS putting money above morality.

to me its just wrong to go genetically modifying the colour of fish just to make a fast buck..

The original Glofish were created by injecting the gene into eggs. No live fish involved, as such. Since then, to quote from the website, 'Today's GloFish® fluorescent fish are bred from the offspring of fluorescent zebra fish that were originally developed several years ago.'

also they dont seem to interact with my zebras, im guessing they would if they were dyed danios.

Glofish probably would too, but maybe not, they probably don't view each other as the same species. Or they do but you haven't noticed.

Are glofish actually danios at all?
Yup, exactly the same as regular zebra danios.

How on earth do people dye fish anyway?

There's plenty of websites around if you look.

only to point out that these were not created to be pets or to "make a quick buck".

The original fish for scientific study, no. But once someone saw the potential for the aquarium trade, perhaps.

I guess the thing with GM fish is that it introduces an unnatural gene into the fish. Yes selective breeding does the same thing, but there is no way on earth that selective breeding could get a 'glow' gene into a danio or any other fish, as its a impossible gene path. I believe the 'glow' gene in Glofish came originally from jellyfish, and you can't breed fish with jellyfish, full stop.

Sam

Perhaps, but once the gene has been injected into the egg, it pretty much becomes one of the danios own genes. Not like it only lasts in the fish you inject it into.

''It was done so that scientists could see the fish easily while using them as an indicator in water quality.''

True ^

They were supposed to glo more if there were toxins in the water <(I think)

I know that people are breeding and selling them to anywhere, as I've seen them on aquabid quite a few times.

I'm not sure why everyone is fussing about this so much.. doesn't harm the fish in any way whatsoever.

Have you seen the green mice? Do a google search.

Same with the mice though- not even zygotes that were injected with the DNA, twas sperm. And you can't exactly claim that sperm have feelings :p

I saw some in a Wal*Mart the other day for about $4 a fish and while they do look kind of day-glo tacky, in person and up close, they are not that bad. Still didn't buy any as much because I don't want to spend that much money on Wal*Mart fish as I have nowhere to safely put them at home.

I love the one I have.. I would buy more if I had the chance... it does hang around with the other 2 danios I have.

I never really appreciated danios before, but now that I have them they aren't that bad.

I love the one I have.. I would buy more if I had the chance... it does hang around with the other 2 danios I have.

I never really appreciated danios before, but now that I have them they aren't that bad.

I agree. I just bought 5 of these from Walmart and they've made my tank come alive. They are so pretty, and always swim together. They play nicely with the tetras and zebra danios I had in my tank already. Plus they're so colorful! I think they're great! I was bored with all the variations of "silver."

If you are in the UK and have bought these you are in a difficult situation. They are not licensed for sale in the UK as the GM inspectorate hasnt authorised their sale!

The fish in question are danios with a coral fluorescent gene inserted. n If you have bought them you need to contact the government GM guys.

See these PFK articles for details

this one has the number to call/email

This is interesting

as is this

oh and for all you guys out there who feel that GM is just unequivically wrong... read this - used responsibly it can yield benefits.

I'm not sure of their status in the USA however.

pink danios are real and i have 2 of them and no they are not albino they are actually real here they are like zebra danios but different colours i have also seen other dianos also but i got them in canada at Big Al's.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back