Pinhole Fin Rot

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hemidemisemi

Reaction score
Hi!
So my Betta fish who lives in a 30L (8 gallon) tank has developed fin rot. At first I thought it was just tears or something but I noticed today he had a pinhole in one fin. I've done some research and looked at photos from recent weeks and his fins have definitely been deteriorating. It doesn't seem serious at the moment, but I'm going to start doing daily water changes and see how he goes.
Does anyone have any advice as to what more I can do if needed?
The ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and pH levels are all really good and I've been doing weekly water changes since I got Murdoch in mid-January.
He has live plants in the tank and two tank mates. I feed him colour flakes twice daily and occasionally mini pellets and brine shrimp.
If you can give me any advice that would be much appreciated! Thanks so much!
(Sorry for the picture quality, he's camera shy)

Attachments

• 20200206_152527.jpg
    20200206_152527.jpg
    219.1 KB · Views: 180
  • 20200206_152314.jpg
    20200206_152314.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 92
Do 75% daily water change to keep water clean, any med in your household?

You have to buy one, king british fin rot or jungle fungus clear will do the job.

Barry is correct. Daily 75% water changes along with aquarium salt should do the trick. In first doze, add 1 tablespoon of DISSOLVED aquarium salt per every 5 gallons of water. If you don’t dissolve it, it will sting the fish. After that, add 3/4 tablespoon each day after 75% water change. Do this for 2 weeks. That’s all you need.

Barry is correct. Daily 75% water changes along with aquarium salt should do the trick. In first doze, add 1 tablespoon of DISSOLVED aquarium salt per every 5 gallons of water. If you don’t dissolve it, it will sting the fish. After that, add 3/4 tablespoon each day after 75% water change. Do this for 2 weeks. That’s all you need.
That sounds great thanks so much!!!

No, the salt should remain in with him, not baths. You can get a 4 quart clear plastic food safe container and place him in that for next 2 weeks. Place part of your filter media or some of his substrate in with him to jump start a cycle in the quarantine tank. You’ll need another heater too. That or move the cories as they don’t like salt. If you can’t do that then see if just the 75% daily water changes For 14 days does the trick. Since you need a larger tank, it would be a good reason to go ahead and get one. Even if you have to use the plastic container as a tank for awhile. :)

Last edited:
No, the salt should remain in with him, not baths. You can get a 4 quart clear plastic food safe container and place him in that for next 2 weeks. Place part of your filter media or some of his substrate in with him to jump start a cycle in the quarantine tank. You’ll need another heater too. That or move the cories as they don’t like salt. If you can’t do that then see if just the 75% daily water changes For 14 days does the trick. Since you need a larger tank, it would be a good reason to go ahead and get one. Even if you have to use the plastic container as a tank for awhile. :)
Thanks so much!

Hi!
I made a post not too long ago about my Betta having fun rot. Since then I've been doing daily large water changes but I've noticed that his fins continue to deteriorate.
His fins aren't going brown, they are just getting a pinholes and the ends curl and look very rough.
He's still very interested in his food and isn't lethargic, nothing about him has changed other than his fins getting streaky.
Thanks in advance!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back