Pineapple Swordtail Breeding

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi Again:)

I have three pineapple swordtails ( 2 females, one male) that I've had for about three months. I was hoping to breed them but so far, the females are oblivious to the males mating techniques and haven't gotten pregnant. Is there something that I should be doing or are swordtails just not as prolific as other livebearers?
Thank you!

They are prolific as any other livebearer if there adult fish they will be almost guaranteed to be gravid.

swordtails can be very cannibalistic towards their Young they may be producing fry without you noticing, you need to keep a while planted tank and keep those fish well fed

Maybe I will feed them more. My tank is planted and they have definitely not produced any fry yet; my other swordtails are, just not these ones.

if you want to get fry from them feed as much food as possible and if you can feed them live foods.
as I mentioned you probably haven't noticed them drop fry feed them up well and you will see a differents

post pictures of them so we can confirm their sexes.

feed regularly (3-5 times per day) with a variety of food.
do more water changes to compensate for the extra food.

deworm the fish

IMG-7884.jpg
IMG-7885.jpg
IMG-7886.jpg
IMG-7887.jpg
IMG-7888.jpg

Two males (wagtail & pineapple) and two females (both pineapple). In picture #2, it's hard to tell from that angle wether it's a female or male. Only focussed on the anal fin.

Two males (wagtail & pineapple) and two females (both pineapple). In picture #2, it's hard to tell from that angle wether it's a female or male. Only focussed on the anal fin.
That's a female red wag. I have more swordtails but I was focusing on the pineapple swordtails.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back