Pin Cushion Sea Urchin?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

stanleo

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I was at my LFS today and they had pincushion sea urchins for 10 bucks. I almost got one but stopped myself because I need to do some research on these guys. (look at me growing up
yes.gif
 )

What kind of acclimation do they require?

Will they do ok in less than pristine conditions?

Is there any danger to other inhabitants? ie hermits, emerald crab, snails, six line wrasse, clown fish and green chromis, leather corals, star polyps?

Are they good at eating algae?

What is there specific gravity requirements?

Are they worth having?

Is there a minimum tank size?

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!

Before you do anything else: figure out what species this sea urchin is. Common names are never sufficient with these animals. I can think of 4 different species with very different temperaments that I've seen sold under that common name.

What kind of acclimation do they require?

LONG. If you want a live Echinoderm at the end of the acclimation, test the bag water and tank water. If the difference is within 0.03 to 0.04, plan on 4 hours drip acclimation (I do 4 hours minimum even when the waters look pretty much the same because I would rather be safe than sorry as I'll explain shortly). I don't like to go more than a change of 0.01sg per hour. If you are unlucky and get something like 1.018 in the bag and 1.026 in the tank, 4 hours may still kill some animals. Some people will say that such long acclimation times are absurd because some people acclimate some animals successfully over a much faster period of time. However, you also risk killing the animal if you guessed wrong and rushed it - and there is no way to fix the situation once that's happened. Skimping on acclimation time with sea urchins leads to far too many posts around the web of people buying apparently active, healthy sea urchins who start losing their spines and eventually die anywhere from a couple of days to a week after the event. Starfish and sea cucumbers suffer similar problems and will disintegrate over the same time period. The exact needs of each species for acclimation are poorly understood, so the only way to be totally safe is to be overly cautious. 

Will they do ok in less than pristine conditions?

About the only thing I am casual with for my tanks with Echinoderms is phosphates; urchins don't seem to care at all about that at all. Everything else needs to be as you would expect it in a reef tank. Echinoderms shouldn't go into unstable tanks (the biggest problem with new tanks) and are best left until a system has matured for a few months.

Is there any danger to other inhabitants? ie hermits, emerald crab, snails, six line wrasse, clown fish and green chromis, leather corals, star polyps?

It depends on the species of sea urchin, whether there is abundant natural food in the tank and whether you're willing to target feed it when that runs out. I target feed all of my sea urchins.

Are they good at eating algae?

Depends on the species of sea urchin and the species of algae. I used a couple species of sea urchins (Lytechinus variegatus and Tripneustes gratilla) to eradicate GHA from my 55gal via overgrazing and it was incredibly effective. 

What is there specific gravity requirements?

Stable first and foremost! A standard reef sg of 1.025 is fine. 

Are they worth having?

Pros: basically down to whether you like sea urchins or if you're looking to use them as part of an over-grazing solution for algae control (species-dependent of course).

Cons: depends on the species yet again, but collector species will rearrange all the small things in your tank and steal things like glass thermometers, and it can be extremely difficult to regain ownership of some items with some species without hurting the animal in the process. Some other species will crawl off into a hole and you'll never see them unless you look at your tank at 3am in the dark.

Is there a minimum tank size?

Not really, although some species get larger than others. I wouldn't put an urchin in a pico, but that's about it. However, if you expect the urchin's diet to come 100% from the tank with no supplemental feeding, then it's a different situation (but also a bad idea in many cases).

I am SOOO glad I asked. The guy at the LFS that I trust with my saltwater questions said that it just needs a short acclimation, no where near what it takes for star fish. And all he said was that it will eat algae and coralline algae. I didn't think to ask for the latin name. I should really remember to ask about that. I will for next time. Thanks again Donya!!

Decision: like all the other things I want put in this tank, I am going to wait for at least 6 more months.  

The guy at the LFS that I trust with my saltwater questions said that it just needs a short acclimation, no where near what it takes for star fish.

They are harder to kill with swings that some starfish (like Linckia - very fragile), but still very possible to kill with rushed acclimation if the massive number of anecdotes are anything to go by. With fish there are other pressing issues (like waste accumulation in the bag), but with fragile inverts there's really no excuse not to take one's time and be cautious. Many stores gamble a bit with their acclimation times and do fine with crabs and snails but periodically lose Echinoderms (the signs of bad acclimation are pretty obvious sometimes). 

Normally tidal species of inverts are more robust with regards to swings in salinity, and there are sea urchins that live in those zones. However, I don't know whether any in the trade are collected from those environments and generally I'm not aware of any urchin species in the trade that are known to be exceptionally hardy during acclimation. For all of the common ones, I've heard/read many of the exact same complaints where someone asks why the spines fell off straight away and then it turns out they only dripped for no more than 1-2 hours and didn't test the bag water first. 

I didn't think to ask for the latin name.

I rarely trust IDs on inverts at stores. Most stores won't know what it is and some also try to ID based on color (which is as bad as common name). Occasionally the sheet they ordered from will have a scientific name, but it's not always the correct one. If you don't feel comfortable wading through lots of sea urchin photos to do the ID yourself, the best bet is to ask to take a photo of it at the store for IDing purposes (good stores won't mind this) and post it up here. 

Donya, I have a stupid question. I just read your thread about acclimation and it makes perfect sense. Except one thing. How do you test a bag of water for specific gravity? My meter will not fit in the bag.

Also, how do you get the flow started from the tank to the bag?

Honestly, until now I have done the add tank water to the bag every 15 min and stupidly thought that was the drip method.

I'm hopeless.

How do you test a bag of water for specific gravity? My meter will not fit in the bag.

It's most easily done with a refractometer (best/easiest way to measure sg anyway is with a temperature-correcting one) since it just requires a few drops of water from the bag. With a standing hydrometer it's doable usually but can be a bit of a mess pouring the water in if it won't fit in the bag to be filled. Floating meters might not work due to the space issue and also being hard to read. With hydrometers you'd need to correct for temperature differences between the bag and tank unless the bag had just been floated in the tank to be at the same temperature.

how do you get the flow started from the tank to the bag?

I use two lengths of airline with a regular airline valve connecting them to control the flow and then poke one end of the airline through a plastic cup. That way the cup can be used to get the flow started with the valve open and then the cup can be set back in the tank and the valve closed more to regulate the flow. If there's not much water in the bag, it's best to get the siphon started completely in the tank and then close the valve completely to transfer the non-cup end to the bag so that you don't have a big rush of water go in at the start.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back