pimples ???

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pho20

Reaction score
Hello I have a pink gourami and every now and then it gets these bumps on its head most of the time they are white and they look like a pimple but this time it has one with a dark center now they don't seem to bother him in anyway and they only last about a week or so and then there gone. And he seems to be the only one that gets them the rest of the fish in the tank are convict cichlids and one parrot fish.

Attachments

• IMG_20190115_204552.jpg
    IMG_20190115_204552.jpg
    530.8 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_20190115_204417.jpg
    IMG_20190115_204417.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 207
I'm not sure what It is. My first guess would be parasite but would just be guessing. £5 says Chris will be able to tell you

When I doubt, it is always worth doing a big water change (75% at least) and giving the entire tank a good clean, gravel vac, rinse filter sponges ( in tank water) ect. and to make sure that it's not be caused/ or aggravated by the water conditions.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

That is cool and gross and really interesting. It looks like a black head pimple and I wanna pop it :)

How often does it happen?
Do you do anything before it happens (eg: a big water change, clean filter, stir the gravel up, anything)?
Does it appear in the same spot each time?

It's either a parasitic worm or a protozoan or something similar. I would treat all the fish with Praziquantel and then Levamisole. Don't use boht medications at the same time. If it's a worm those 2 medications should kill it. If they don't work and it pops up again after treatment, then move the fish into a quarantine tank and treat it with Metronidazole. If that doesn't work then the fish will have to live with it.

API General Cure contains Praziquantel and Metronidazole so would be the first choice if you can get it. Use it in a quarantine tank because the Metronidazole will wipe out the filter bacteria.

-----------------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

That is cool and gross and really interesting. It looks like a black head pimple and I wanna pop it :)

How often does it happen?
Do you do anything before it happens (eg: a big water change, clean filter, stir the gravel up, anything)?
Does it appear in the same spot each time?

It's either a parasitic worm or a protozoan or something similar. I would treat all the fish with Praziquantel and then Levamisole. Don't use boht medications at the same time. If it's a worm those 2 medications should kill it. If they don't work and it pops up again after treatment, then move the fish into a quarantine tank and treat it with Metronidazole. If that doesn't work then the fish will have to live with it.

API General Cure contains Praziquantel and Metronidazole so would be the first choice if you can get it. Use it in a quarantine tank because the Metronidazole will wipe out the filter bacteria.

-----------------------------
To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating or it will absorb the medication and stop it working.

Wipe the inside of the glass down with a clean fish sponge. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate. Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it is added to the tank.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

I know it look like a pimple that you just want to pop. it happens about oh every few weeks he will have one for about a week or so then nothing for a few weeks and then boom there's another one and like I said it doesn't seem to bother him in anyway it just looks weird. I don't think it's in the exact same spot but pretty close it's always on that side of his head though and cleaning - water changes not a factor. And I know this sounds mean but the other fish in the tank are convicts and I'm not worried about them getting it because I have two other tanks full of them they breed like I was running a hatchery. I think for now as long as it's not bothering him I'm going to leave him alone. I just would like to know what it is know what I mean.

It's either a parasitic worm or a protozoan, my money is on the worm. Sometimes worm eggs from terrestrial animals get washed into water ways and are picked up by fish. The worm egg hatches and the larvae crawls around the body thinking it is in its natural host but gets lost and ends up wherever. They usually live here for the rest of their life and don't cause any real problems unless they grow large and put pressure on internal organs or impair the fish's swimming.

These types of parasites do not normally affect other fish in the tank with them because they cannot complete their life cycle due to being in the wrong host. Normally they just look weird and freak people out.

I would try deworming the tanks and see what happens.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back