CFC

Leader of the Fishes
Reaction score
Common name/s: Pictus catfish, pim pictus, angelicus pim

Scientific name: Pimelodus pictus

Family: Pimelodidae

Origin: Amazon and its tributaries in Columbia and Peru

Maximum size: 6", 12" in the wild

Care: This fish is reasonably easy to care for, it tolerates a wide range of water conditions and will thrive in all but the most alkeline and hard water, they are best kept at temperatures from 22 to 25 celcius. As with all Pimeloid catfish these fish can be sensative to nitrate so regular maintainance should be done, water changes of at least 25% weekly are recomended. Decorate the tank using pieces of bogwood and rocks to form structures towards the back of the tank for the fish to rest under leaving the front of the tank open for free swimming space. Pimelodus pictus is best kept in a group of 3 or more, if kept alone they become shy and will hide but if kept in just pairs they will fight. This fish is a predator and will consume any tankmates under 3".

Feeding: The fish is not fussy about food, most sinking aquarium foods will be taken, bloodworms and catfish pellets for carnivourous fish are recomended.

Breeding: Unknown

Comments: There are two subspecies of Pimelodus pictus in the hobby, the Peruvian pictus which has large black spots and is the more commonly seen fish and the Columbian which has many smaller spots and is generally smaller.

Columbian pictus

Attachments

• pimelodus_pictus.jpg
    pimelodus_pictus.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 344
Peruvian (angelicus strain)

photo taken from baensch volume 2

Attachments

• angelicus_pim.jpg
    angelicus_pim.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 326
Just a little bit of infomation, I just came back from someone's place, We did not know this until it was to late, they have three spines, one each side under fin's and one on the top fin, these are very painful if pricked,just like a needle, The two side one's got caught in the net, took me 20mins to realease, he is fine after ordeal, what i did after was take a fish bag and wrap it inside the net and caught them in this fashion, striaght in and no problem, actually was really nice as the bag stays full of water and the fishe's did not flip around...

These guy's are approx 6inches
paulaisababe822.jpg

paulaisababe744.jpg

paulaisababe766.jpg

paulaisababe767.jpg

paulaisababe724.jpg

my baby pictus, hes about 2.5 inches long

Attachments

• DSC02473.JPG
    DSC02473.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 302

Most reactions