Pictus Catfish Venomous Spines

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Ozzie Boss

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Howdy, itā€™s been a while since Iā€™ve been on the forums! As the title implies I was curious about the venomous spines on pictus. Since most of my cories have passed, I was curious in trying a new catfish. I was drawn into the pictus due to their appearance and activity level. The question I have is, are these spines deadly to other fish? I have a couple medium sized fish in my tank, and would be heartbroken if they were to die just because they got a little too rough with the pictus. Although they never gave the cories a rough time, so I doubt it will happen that often. Any input is appreciated :)

Not sure about the venom but research whether or not pictus is compatible with the other fish you have. I had to give up on the idea of having one as they can get rowdy, will attack smaller fish and also require spot on water parameters :) they are absolutely gorgeous though so if you end up having them you will have to show us photos.

Oh also... pictus is shoaling I think? not sure how many you wanted but apparently due to their activity they do require a decent amount of space :)

Pictus catfish do live in groups and need a big tank because they can reach 6-8 inches in length and are active swimmers. Minimum size tank is 4 foot long and preferably 6 foot for a group of adult fish.

They will eat any small fish so tank mates must be chosen carefully.

They don't have venomous spines. They have mucous and sometimes bacteria on their spines, and this can sometimes cause an infection if you get stabbed by one. However, it is no different to being spiked by a Corydoras or most other small freshwater catfish or loaches.

Most reactions

trending

Back