Pictus Catfish okay with Vampire Shrimp?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aphoko

Reaction score
I just recently ordered a Vampire shrimp from https://aquaticarts.com and selected the small quantity. I currently have a pictus catfish in the tank that I plan on adding the shrimp to (about 3'). Generally pictus cats are peaceful fish and may occasionally pick on or eat fish significantly smaller than them. I am just curious to know if I would have to move my pictus or if the shrimp would be fine do to it's large size and bulky appearance.

P.S. I don't know how big the vampire shrimp will come and it has not arrived yet.

How big is your pictus cat? One thing that some people forget about when keeping fish, is the the "Eat or be Eaten" fact of nature. Yes one can mitigate eat or be eaten, if one has plenty of hiding places, etc....but still....I hope you have plenty of places for your shrimp to hide. and good luck, would love to see pictures when you get them.

the cat is only 3' but I don't know how small the shrimp will come. They tend to be generally larger though.

I doubt there will be any issues. Catfish are scavengers, not hunters.

I doubt there will be any issues. Catfish are scavengers, not hunters.
Catfish are a hugely diverse group that literally cover the whole range of foods and feeding methods. Many are predators. Even the scavengers will grab anything alive and small enough that they bump into.
Pictus are predatory carnivores whose main diet is inverts and small fish, but they have a relatively small mouth so I’d say shrimp over 1.5” or so might be safe.
Btw Pictus are very social fish that live in small groups...

Last edited:
Should be fine. I've had my vampire shrimp with fish known to be aggressive and never had an issue. Like @Ichthys has said, larger shrimp (like the vampire shrimp) are a safer bet.

Catfish are a hugely diverse group that literally cover the whole range of foods and feeding methods. Many are predators. Even the scavengers will grab anything alive and small enough that they bump into.
Pictus are predatory carnivores whose main diet is inverts and small fish, but they have a relatively small mouth so I’d say shrimp over 1.5” or so might be safe.
Btw Pictus are very social fish that live in small groups...
Pictus catfish are not active hunters, although they will eat small, dead fish.

They’re looking for live fish and inverts when they’re hungry. Most would call that an active hunter.
100% predatory - speaking from experience here one of mine from many years ago are a small gold nugget pleco. Vampire shrimp are big though so could have a chance but not 100% sure if I’m honest

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back