The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.

loates123

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i am new to tropical after having coldwater b4, and would love my questions answered

1/6 of the tank is purple gravel

the rest is white sand what i got from the fish shop

my aim is to keep the tank clean with little work on it...

it is a 4 ft tank , 12 wide, 16 deep, with a flurel 4 and 404 filter set on low, and one airstoneand one tresure chest.... and one small plant what looks like long grass to me.............

also have one large rock in the middle it weights around 22kg but it looks smart and good for the fish

4mths old now

current fish
3 bristtle nose cat fish
3 clown loachs
1 red tailed shark
2 female Siamese Fighting Fish and 1 male
2 corys
3 Glowlight Tetra

what else can i add do u think , what about a coolie loach and shrimps
,Neon Tetra s and Cardinal Tetra
can i add these fish

also my aim is a clean tank with it being white sand and colourfull fish what are easy to look after..
so what about any other fish to add also i dont want to many fish as my fish will grow but i need more in there than i have and more colour

also what plants are easy to keep

hope i get some replys ill keep checking

OK, firstly- Take out the male betta (siamese fighting fish). They do not get on with any fish IMO, so get him his own 5 gallon ish tank. Secondly, you need...
At least one more cory (more is better)
At least 3 more glowlights.

Both these type of fish have insufficient group numbers. Maybe someone else can help you with the sticking level, I'm not sure about the size of most of them.

one of the brittlenose is 4inch all the other fish i have are smaller

keep the advice coming in as i am off to the fish shop in the morning

Your tank is about 40 gallons and you are overstocked. You have 3 clown loaches. Those need a minimum af 50 gallons each as they can grow to a foot long or more. They would not be able to turn around in your tank. I would definitely look into returning them if at all possible unless you plan to get another larger tank.

One problem with your substrate is that it is very difficult to mix sand and gravel. The sand, being small, will filter into the gravel. As for cleaning, sand is much easier to keep clean as all debris/trash settles to the bottom and can easily be vacuumed when you do a water change. Gravel is a little more dificult to clean as the trash filters down into the gravel so you have to stir the gravel up to get it out.
I would second what OohFeeshy said about the betta. Definitely get the male out and put him in a tank to himself. You will also need to add 2 more females if you want to keep them in the big tank. I'm not expert on them but from what I have read, because of their aggressiveness you either need to keep only one or at least 4 in a tank together to prevent fighting. Corys and tetras are both schooling fish and need to be in groups or 6 or more, absolute minimum of 3.

what fish can i add and what plants

also the clown loach are only 2inch long i may get rid of them in a year or so

the fighter seems to be getting on with the other fish

You could get an arowana. He will fix your clown loach problem. IMHO

Here's my advice: stop sitting around being pushy and rude, cancel your trip to the fish shop, and do some research on the species you have. Your loaches are too big. You don't have enough female bettas. Your male betta should be housed alone. Your tank is overstocked. Your substrate is not easy for cleaning.

Everyone has given very good advice thus far, so I don't think you should be rudely double-posting pleading for more info from someone who "knows about plants and fish," because all of the posters so far do. Please take the initiative to do some research of your own before you buy any more fish.

Fish ownership is a little more than just having a pretty, low-maintenence tank, ; you need to invest serious time and thought into how the species you have will interact, what you will do if some of the fish don't get along, how large each species will get, what each requires as part of its diet, how much hiding space they need to remain stress-free and healthy, etc. etc. Fishkeeping isn't any easier than keeping any other animal, IMHO, and may even be more difficult on some levels.

edit: also, I think you said you had only one plant in the tank? You need more. Many, many, many more. Especially if you plan on keeping female bettas; they will beat the heck out of each other and your other fish if you don't give everyone lots of places to hide.

I guess you have gone now, but anyway my advice would be:

Get rid of the clowns. Now, before it's too late.

Follow the advice of the others on the fish.

Post a pic of your tank.

Also, why not get some more plants? People will advise you if you post a pic of your tank on what to get! HTH!

RandomWiktor said:
Here's my advice: stop sitting around being pushy and rude, cancel your trip to the fish shop...

<snip>

...will beat the heck out of each other and your other fish if you don't give everyone lots of places to hide.
Good post except it was triple posting ;)

it is a 4 ft tank , 12 wide, 16 deep, with a flurel 4 and 404 filter set on low, and one airstoneand one tresure chest.... and one small plant what looks like long grass to me.............
You don't have a heater? Thats not good, enless you keep your house at 78-80 degrees to heat the water, your gonna need a heater. All (or most) of those fish require a heater. So thats one thing you could buy next time you stop at the fish store. Also, trade your clown loaches in, and your male betta (if you can't get a seperate tank for him) and then you could get more fish. Like some more glowlight tetras (I would get atleast 3 more, more would be better) and atleast 2 more cories (4 more would be better). I'm not too sure about the BN, they don't grow very big (5-6" I think?) so you'd be okay with those. Three is the recomended number for keeping female bettas, so I would get some more.

I don't blame you for being mad, because I know when I was just learning about the whole fish keeping stuff I wanted to add more fish to my tank (I forget which one) and everybody told me I was already over-stocked, so I was REALLY pissed. Lets just say...I'm banned off that board now :D
But, as said before, these people are correct when they say your tank is overstocked. It may not look like its crowded, but they are talking about when the fish get bigger (the clown loaches).

thanks for the advice

did not get round going to the fish shop so going to go in the morning...

few questions

why get rid of the clown loachs now they are tiny 1 1/2 - 2 inchs long
how fast do they grow if only fed once a day

what about just keeping one or two of them i need a large fish to make the tank stand out....

can i keep the male figher in the tank in one of them small plastic containers what clip on the side of the tank

what other fish can i add

can i add what fish i stated in the first post

also have a 400w heater, sorry about forgetting our do i get a picture up on here they are quite large files

You should get rid of the clown loaches now because it will stunt their growth if they're kept in that small of a tank for too long and I would wait before going to the fish store until you have everything figured out.

current fish
2 bristtle nose cat fish
3 clown loachs
1 red tailed shark
2 female Siamese Fighting Fish
5 corys
3 Glowlight Tetra

5 carvals look like red and blue neons

2 otos

1 small shrimp
1 very large smirp doing well eating no fish , hides a lot

all fish are small

every one is telling me i need more fish, i am getting confused ..

give me more advice and i will get rid of the fish i just want my tank to look like there is fish in it still and good colourfull fish..

sand got a little dirty but clean ed it up

i am ready to get slated here :nod:

ok, look bud, you've been threatening for hours to go to the shop in 15 mintues or less. :rolleyes: we ain't buying it. that being said:

clown loach do get quite large, but they grow very slowly. you could keep them until they hit 5~6 inches, but then they'll need to go in a bigger tank. most shops are quite willing to take in clown loaches, especially in the larger sizes. they definitely need to be in a group of 3 or more.

it'd be better to keep your male betta in the general tank than in a tiny box. he's much more likely to go table-diving in one of those containers you described. since most of your fish are bottom dwellers, i think you could manage a female betta colony in there. get two more female bettas and a lot more plants. keep an eye out for fighting, however. the instant you see any fighting between the male and a female, remove him from the tank. don't just put him in a little box; bettas are notoriously gifted at jumping out to get into fights.

Plants: Cryptacornes are very nice, but slow growing. Apongetons should thrive in your tank -- they have long leaves poking up from a bulb. get 4 or 5; Apongetons readily flower and drop seeds. another choice are any of the Amazon Swords.

why on earth do you have three bristlenose plecos? plecos produce tremendous amount of waste for their size and are only so-so algae eaters. get rid of at least one of them! plecos grow very quickly in the appropriate conditions and are extremely hardy. you need a much bigger tank than 40gallons to need 3 bristlenose plecos.

get another cory and more glowlights. i'd skip the khulii (a schooling fish) and the shrimp; you've got as many bottom dwellers as your tank can hande. also, bettas are a bit too predatory for shrimp. your tank isn't ready for neons yet (6 months minimum after cycling). cardinals and neons are both a bit small to put with an agressive fish like a betta. really, you're almost stocked already.

Yes: cories, glowlights, 2 more female bettas
No: khulii loach, shrimp, neons, cardinals

why on earth do you have three bristlenose plecos

i want the tank to have no algea will 3 cause a big problem

why cant i have a coolie loach i dont want the sand to get dirty with it being white sand

our many more corries should i have

think i will get the plants u said

also why do i need more female fighters

also can i have your email address please so u can host my picture of my tank , i think your like it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back