Pics - possible layout, thoughts?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
You have some great ideas for setting up the tank. Once you finish laying our your tank, I hope to see you enter it in our Tank of the Month contest.
March TOTM... tanks sized at 16 US gallons and smaller
April TOTM....tanks sized at 17 to 30 US gallons
May TOTM...tanks sized at 31 US gallons and larger

Tan sand should be fine for the fish, especially if there are plenty of floating plants overhead to diffuse the light. I think you have a rather unique and interesting concept. Looking forward to seeing it develop.
Thank you! I appreciate that!

You have some great ideas for setting up the tank. Once you finish laying our your tank, I hope to see you enter it in our Tank of the Month contest.
March TOTM... tanks sized at 16 US gallons and smaller
April TOTM....tanks sized at 17 to 30 US gallons
May TOTM...tanks sized at 31 US gallons and larger
I will definitely try to do that! Hope to let this one sit for a few weeks to cycle first. Then plants and lastly fish.

Tried a few more layouts today. But this one was the only one that the majority of us liked. So far these 3 in the thread are the top contenders.
Iā€™m trying to break up the line of sight and create hiding spaces for the fish.
I am liking the wood lay out, and I know you want a river bed of sorts but I think the rocks that you have arranged look pre arranged and not got a natural feel, try and google some river bed scapes to see how the pro do it ? I do like your concept what with a centre island,
Good luck would like to see it when you have finished

I am liking the wood lay out, and I know you want a river bed of sorts but I think the rocks that you have arranged look pre arranged and not got a natural feel, try and google some river bed scapes to see how the pro do it ? I do like your concept what with a centre island,
Good luck would like to see it when you have finished
Thank you so much for your comment. I was having a hard time finding what to search for, and when I searched the term you used, River bed scapes, it populated many more ideas of what Iā€™m looking for!
Only thing, they are mostly edged with a carpeting plant, which I donā€™t plan to have. But I do have an idea, to help with the uniformity of the rocks as they currently are.
Again, thanks!

Well the hardscape is done. Iā€™m really hoping that the plants help to soften the look of it all. I used the slate stones to break up the transitions of the hardscapes. Iā€™m really enjoying the look of the slate.
Lighting should come in tomorrow. Would it be ok to add plants while the tank is cycling or should I just wait for that too?

Kids are dubbing it ā€˜Crystal Riverā€™ and hubs is calling it ā€˜Spider Riverā€™. šŸ˜‚ he says the wood looks like a big monster spider, and he hates spiders lol

Attachments

• F7535483-B92B-44D1-8897-440131E70119.jpeg
    F7535483-B92B-44D1-8897-440131E70119.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 377E84CE-22BC-413A-92E0-E495D4B5CA6D.jpeg
    377E84CE-22BC-413A-92E0-E495D4B5CA6D.jpeg
    288.4 KB · Views: 32
  • B73DCA63-C03F-4A4D-BC8D-60DFACB6068F.jpeg
    B73DCA63-C03F-4A4D-BC8D-60DFACB6068F.jpeg
    294.1 KB · Views: 33
Well the hardscape is done. Iā€™m really hoping that the plants help to soften the look of it all. I used the slate stones to break up the transitions of the hardscapes. Iā€™m really enjoying the look of the slate.
Lighting should come in tomorrow. Would it be ok to add plants while the tank is cycling or should I just wait for that too?

Kids are dubbing it ā€˜Crystal Riverā€™ and hubs is calling it ā€˜Spider Riverā€™. šŸ˜‚ he says the wood looks like a big monster spider, and he hates spiders lol
If you add lots of plants, it will mess up your cycle by making it unnecessary. :) My method for cycling with plants goes something like this:
1. Do your research and get plants that are likely to thrive in your setup, lighting, and water parameters.
2. Get a big variety of plants. Some with thrive and eventually dominate; others will gradually (sometimes quickly) die out, just like in nature.
3. Once your plants are actively growing, add fish. Ideally, add them gradually and don't stock heavily. Done.

If you add lots of plants, it will mess up your cycle by making it unnecessary. :) My method for cycling with plants goes something like this:
1. Do your research and get plants that are likely to thrive in your setup, lighting, and water parameters.
2. Get a big variety of plants. Some with thrive and eventually dominate; others will gradually (sometimes quickly) die out, just like in nature.
3. Once your plants are actively growing, add fish. Ideally, add them gradually and don't stock heavily. Done.
I can go along with that method! šŸ˜‚
I havenā€™t been able to add plants yet, since Iā€™ve been waiting on the light. But itā€™s had water for a week now, and the wood has settled in as Iā€™ve been doing touch ups and water changes.

I am currently 6 weeks in with my 10 gallon planted tank. And I have a variety of plants that I know I want to keep in this one. I could start with those, but I do want others. So Iā€™ll continue researching and see what I can find that will thrive.

Iā€™m not sure if I should do a jungle type theme or just add a bunch of ferns and moss.
For sure want ludwigia and really hope to try S. repens. Crossing my fingers that it will stay alive!

Thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back