April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

3fsh

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Common Name: Picasso Triggerfish

Other Names: Lagoon Triggerfish, Blackbar Triggerfish

Hawaiian Name: Hu-mu hu-mu nu-ku nu-ku a pu-a-'a.

Scientific Name: Rhinecanthus aculeatus

Distribution: This species extends from Hawaii and the Marquesas Islands westward through central Polynesia, Micronesia, Melanasia, and the Philippines to the coast of China, through the East Indies, and across the Indian Ocean to the coast of Africa and the Red Sea

Natural Habitat: Shallow lagoons and reefs with plenty of rocky hiding places.

Reef Safe?: No

Average Size: 10 inches

Minimum Tank Size: 80 gallons

Diet: Picasso's definitely aren't picky about their diet! They can and will eat everything from Marine Carnivore Pellets to brine shrimp (live or frozen) to frozen shrimp, squid, clams, and "Trigger Formula". (I recommend soaking live brine shrimp and any other un-enriched foods in a vitamin/trace element formula before feeding it to your trigger.)

Suggested Feedings: 2-3 small meals per day

Characteristics and Compatability: The picasso has the most character of all of the triggerfish (IMO). They are almost like little dogs, and will "beg" for food when you come in the room. These triggers are also very inquisitive! Picassos are very territorial, so make sure that you only put fish in with them that are as big as or bigger than them. Ideal tank-mates are triggerfish, puffers, wrasses, and other fish which are able to defend themselves from the triggerfish's sharp little teeth!

Comments: This fish is one of my favorites, and has the most amazing personality of any fish I have ever owned! Make sure to provide many hiding places for the trigger to "wedge himself into" when he goes to sleep at night.

SIMG0051.jpg

Most reactions

Back