Phytoplankton Reactor

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

macpegg

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Wot is one? and is it neccessary to have one?

Phytoplankton culturing vessels (AKA "phytoplankton reactors") are one of the most exciting and underrated concepts for specialized marine aquarium systems. The set-up is remarkably simple. A water holding vessel (white colored plastic/aquaria may help refract light within) is to be positioned above the invertebrate display. Inside, a brightly lit culture of living phytoplankton (green water) is overflown at a very slow rate/drip from a feed of system water )perhaps a regulated 1/4 line from the displays return pump). All "green" overflow water must pass through an ultraviolet sterilizer before continuing on a downstream path (to a refugium or the display itself). The UV sterilizer controls the outbreak of phytoplankton in the main display while providing a fresh food source for some corals and other phytoplankton feeders.

While most of the currently popular corals known in the trade do not selectively feed on phytoplankton, some of the most exciting species of soft coral and gorgonian may require it. Phytoplankton feeding species will surely respond to this incredibly simple addition of system hardware. We can expect the availability of phytoplankton to stimulate soft coral and gorgonian vitality, spawning success and aesthetic appeal.

Phytoplankton reactors are best suited for displays featuring small polyped invertebrates likely to feed on "green" water. Octocoral theme tanks featuring night feeders (such as the gaudy, colorful Dendronephthya corals for advanced aquarists) or gorgonian species are tremendously fascinating and may respond well. Furthermore, a gorgonian-specific display could also be very successful with a large fish population. Many sea fans fair well with extra nutrients from a heavy fish load while exuding noxious compounds that deter the fish from nibbling upon them. Such aquaria may be stocked with typically, non "reef-safe" fishes such as Angelfish and Butterflyfish in a reef display.

Essentially, phytoplankton reactors are one of the many ways to explore the question of "what" (and not "if") some corals eat. Some phytoplankton feeding species or coral may be very selective about which species of algae they will eat. Nanochloropsis and Isochrysis are commonly cultered.

HTH, Eddie

I am going to get some culture next time I go to Detroit. I know a couple places and guys that use it and swear by it.

GL

I used to grow phyto plankton and used to add about 2litres a day to my system. kept the nitrates down too. its quite easy to grow as long as you keep the container sterile and using air filters is also reccamended. I don't have time to grow it anymore so i buy it from the LFS.

ste :)

The one guy I know that uses it does not have a UV filter. It is something I have not considered. It may just be an overkill measure.

GL

2 LITERS!!!

I think I am missing something...

I could never get it too a dense culture like the stuff you buy that is grown in special conditions and so by putting more in, there will still be the same amount of cells going in. also, you can't realy overdose with the stuff as it will live in the system until consumed so it isn't going to do any harm. I used to culture it in 5 gallon containers so had loads of the stuff.

ste :)

BTW- you think thats extreem, I lose 2-3 gallons a day in evaporation which usually ends up as a puddle on my floor the next day (wooden flor)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back