phosphate and calcium?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

schizo_fish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
i was in my lfs today and was looking at the test kits and noticed one for phosphates and one for calcium. but have never heard of these before.
what are the dangers of high phosphate and calcium levels in an aquarium?
and what could be the cause of these?
also, how would i go about reducing these to safe levels???

any help is appreciated. thanks.

High phosphates are a major contributor to algae of many kinds. Keeping this level in check will go a long way toward keeping your tank with minimal algae outbreaks.
I believe that the calcium test is mainly for salt water tanks, as i have never used one in a fresh water tank. If i am wrong someone please step in and correct me. HTH :)

Calcium is, as far as I know, only tested for in reef tanks where corals need it in the right quantity.

Phosphates are also mainly tested for in reef tanks where high levels cause nusicance algae, although I suppose it could be used in freshwater tanks. High phosphates are caused by poor quality mains water being used, overstocking of the tanks or lack of water changes.
Ed

schizo_fish said:
what causes high phosphates? and how would i reduce them?
one of the main contributors to high phosphates is overfeeding. When the food decomposes one of the by products is phosphate. Try feeding less times per day or smaller amounts each time. HTH :)

A phosphate test is also commonly used by people with planted tanks, especially high-energy planted tanks.

As Terry mentioned, high phosphates can lead to many algae problems; but also, in high-energy tanks, so can low phosphates. Ironically, in high-energy planted tanks, aquarists often end up explicitly adding both phosphates and nitrates, for the health of the plants and tank (for info, most people will try to keep their nitrate-to-phosphate ratio at around 14 to 1).

phosphates can also be found in ph altering products (eg: ph up/down), which can cause high amounts of algae to form which is why not many people would reccomend on here.

HTH :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back