PH

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Elisabeth

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm a week into cycling a new 55 gallon tank. At the moment it has 4 emporer tetras, is heavily planted and has a large sandblasted (bought from lf) piece of bogwood in there. I've just done some water tests and everything is ok apart from the PH which is ridiculously alkaline.
Can anyone tell me if this is usual during the cycling process? Or, if not, what could be causing it. I did soak the wood for a few days before i put it in the tank but maybe this wasn'y long enough? And will the PH decrease of its own accord? If not whats the best way of lowering it? I have another tank and the PH there is fine so i know its not way it comes out the tap.
Thanks
Any advice greatly appreciated!!

Oh, am also using Biostart...

Hi Elisabeth,

whats the actual reading and what are using for substrate???

any other decor?

:)

The test reading is about 8.5.

Substrate is gravel I got from the LF. Its 3mm in diameter and was washed very thoroughly before being put in the tank.

Also in the tank is another piece of wood that and some rocks that have been in my other aquarium for months, a mixture of fake and real plants and some pebbles I got from the aquarium section of a Petsmart. I've just looked again on the label that came with the pebbles and it says to be used in water features and plant pots, doesn't mention aquariums but they should be ok shouldn't they?

Do you know what your tap water pH is? I have gone through the frustration of trying to adjust pH downward with chemicals and IMO it does the fish more harm than good. The chemicals will temporarily lower the pH but I found that it would always bounce back up due to the buffering. It is very hard to stabilize the pH. My recommendation would be leave the pH where it is and create an African cichlid tank. They thrive in higher pH.

What is the pH of your local tap water ?

If its slightly acidic it will disolve your rock / gravel and the pH will just rise to the tanks natural buffer level - generally it will be slightly alkaline.

The only reliable way to maintain acidic water is to use a completely neutral media such as Alphagrog or similar and then any 6.5 buffer will keep it at that level.

Any rock you add will generally tend to neutralise acidic water. I have found washed coal a cheap and pleasant tank rock but be sure its not a high sulpher grade.

Most fish will adapt so unless your breeding acid lovers I would just stay as you are.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back