Ph Tolerant Fish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I have a tank with a pH of 8.4ish. I know that's pretty high for a fresh water tank. I live on a well so the water has a lot of dissolved minerals in it. 
I was wondering if anyone with a similar-ish pH has had any luck keeping tropical fish? (I know Cichlids do better in this environment, but I have a thing for aquascaping so I enjoy having live plants.) 

I've tried changing my pH, and it's very difficult, honestly it's easier to just leave it. (Especially because I don't like to add unnecessary chemicals to my tank.)

I haven't had very much luck with live bearers, which makes me sad as I do so enjoy them. I've tried Danio's and their hit and miss.
Anabantoids such as Betta's and Gourami (Of multiple varieties) have done well in my tanks. My Cory's are surviving, and breeding, on occasion, though I haven't seen any young yet.) 

I'm more interested in knowing how certain schooling fish do. I've never had any Tetra's or Barb's before and I was hoping to get a school - but I don't want to spend the money if their going to die. (Because I am a frugal person, and because any fish death sort of hurts, because I always feel like I could have done more.) 

Have you tried putting a whole lot of wood into your aquarium? wood lowers the ph of water. Maybe peat moss in the filter. If you dont mind tannins

Discuslove said:
Have you tried putting a whole lot of wood into your aquarium? wood lowers the ph of water. Maybe peat moss in the filter. If you dont mind tannins

The only problem here is eventually the tannin 'runs out' and the pH goes back up. The pH will also fluctuate with the water changes each time etc not to mention the fact that the wood wouldn't come anywhere close to lowering it as much as OP would like I imagine..

Your best bet is to research which rivers/lakes of the world have a high pH and just find a fish from that area. African fish have a high pH margin..

Or ask your LFS what their pH is, where their fish come from etc and source fish that are bred in that pH - will be much easier to acclimate them that way.

Good luck! 

Btw what's your water hardness like? Your pH is high but is the water hard or soft? I know it's normally harder the higher pH but it can be different..

My pH is 8.2 and I currently keep platies.  They're very happy.  I've also been looking for schooling fish that enjoy hard alkaline water and they're hard to find!

People have suggested lemon tetras to me but even if they thrive I suspect they would only show their best colours in acid conditions.

Guppies like hard alkaline water as they are from Mexico. Not schoolers but livebearers. Did you try them?

The pH requirement of fish are often overstated, you would be better informed of what fish you could use that water for by finding out the well water's gH and kH readings, perhaps investing ~£6 on a TDS meter for even more meaningful results...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111125247887?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Your mixed history with fish suggest to me that your well water could be fine for many species and you may have simply bought some unhealthy fish from time to time.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
There are quite a number if fish species you easily can have that have a high tolerance of pH.

I usually have a pH of 8.0 to 8.2 but currently is a little lower at 7.4 to 7.6 mostly due to the 3 pieces of bogwood and moss balls in my tank, but that will eventually work its way back to 8.0. 

The tannins do give the water a very weak tea colour and I kinda like it truth be told.

I keep Threadfin Rainbowfish with RCS and Assassin snails and quite a few live plants. A lively tank!
The Threadfins are really thriving in this type of water in my tank, I see in my LFS their Threadfins they have for sale, much paler and less lively, don't flare much etc, wish I could take them all! lol

There are quite a few rainbowfish species, so a fair choice.

Other species like Florida Flagfish, Empire Gudgeons, Swordtails and a few livebearers will be perfectly happy in pH of 8.0 +, am sure there are more, just can't think of them at the moment but that will give you a start for your research. 
smile.png

N0body Of The Goat said:
The pH requirement of fish are often overstated, you would be better informed of what fish you could use that water for by finding out the well water's gH and kH readings, perhaps investing ~£6 on a TDS meter for even more meaningful results...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111125247887?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Your mixed history with fish suggest to me that your well water could be fine for many species and you may have simply bought some unhealthy fish from time to time.
well said sir.

+1 for NOTG's comments.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
African cichlids can be anywhere from about 7.2 to 8.6 with what Ive read.

IF thats wrong I got it from the site so blame yourselves :p (JK, just correct me)

Ch4rlie said:
I keep Threadfin Rainbowfish with RCS and Assassin snails and quite a few live plants. A lively tank!
The Threadfins are really thriving in this type of water in my tank, I see in my LFS their Threadfins they have for sale, much paler and less lively, don't flare much etc, wish I could take them all! lol

There are quite a few rainbowfish species, so a fair choice.

Did your threadfins colour up after you added them to your tank or did you get them from a different LFS?
I'm considering rainbowfish as part of stocking plans for my next tank.  I really like the look of Pseudomugil furcatus but they are relatively expensive.  The threadfins in my LFS look rather drab too.

daizeUK said:
Did your threadfins colour up after you added them to your tank or did you get them from a different LFS?
I'm considering rainbowfish as part of stocking plans for my next tank.  I really like the look of Pseudomugil furcatus but they are relatively expensive.  The threadfins in my LFS look rather drab too.

Daize

My thread fins, when I bought them from LFS were rather a bit drab and the usual silvery colour. Now after a month, they are a weak tea sort of colour now with red and blue tinges to their fins and tail fin.

Along with striking blue eyes, especially when my blue LEDs strip light comes on in the evening 
smile.png

Here's a pic I tried to capture their flaring, I got one that was flaring to the shrimps while they munching on a bit of algae wafer! lol

Sorry the pic is not the best (have asked for a half decent camera for my birthday! 
devil.gif
)
He is actually a little darker than the pic shows and pic does not show his blue tinges on tail fin or red tinges on fins as well.........darn camera!
SAM_0694_zpscb820ca2.jpg

He looks nice.  Thanks for the pic! 
The threadfins at my LFS are much darker, a bit like this chap below.  I prefer your silvery colours so I'll give these ones a miss, I think.

Oh thats a nice pic, did not realise they can get that much darker. Hmm....interesting. I love learning more about Threadfins! 
laugh.png

I notice does not have long tail fins, assume still a juvenile so still a bit of growing to do.

My pic of my threadfin really does not do him much justice TBH but you get the general idea anyway of his colouring, albeit he is a little darker than pic suggests.

But certainly not as dark as the threadfin in your pic. Nice though.
You're giving me ideas now....lol 
wink.png

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back