pH problem

Animallover😍

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The lowest I can get by doing water changes is 7.2. The parameters of tap water is..
KH: 2
GH: 5
pH: 8
I have tried with peat moss and catappa leaves. did not work. I think I will try peat moss again and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll seek some advice here. In the meantime, can you give me some tips to lower the pH?

The lowest I can get by doing water changes is 7.2. The parameters of tap water is..
I have tried with peat moss and catappa leaves. did not work. I think I will try peat moss again and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll seek some advice here. In the meantime, can you give me some tips to lower the pH?
Honestly 7.2 is neutral and if it’s stable I wouldn’t be looking to change it , you’re PH will slowly drop or rise over the week depending on the layout of your tank mine is heavy with wood and leaf littler so I have a drop of around 0.5 over the week perfectly safe for the fish other with lots of ocean rock or crush coral sand may have a rise during the week most important thing is stability you could cause more damage trying to match ph than lettin the fish adjust to the consistent PH you can provide

Asking myself how you get Ph 7,2 if you do waterchanges with tapwater (I assume) which has a Ph of 8.0

Asking myself how you get Ph 7,2 if you do waterchanges with tapwater (I assume) which has a Ph of 8.0
My tap water has a PH of 6.5 -7 straight from the tap yet 20 miles up the road the water is ph 7.5-8 , tap water varies from region to region and from the water source it’s drawn from

My tap water has a PH of 6.5 -7 straight from the tap yet 20 miles up the road the water is ph 7.5-8 , tap water varies from region to region and from the water source it’s drawn from
But I don't understand the initial post.
Ph tank lower by waterchanges : 7,2
Tapwater 8

But I don't understand the initial post.
Ph tank lower by waterchanges : 7,2
Tapwater 8
That’s not necessarily true my tank ph rises through water changes as my tank layout means the water softens slightly throughout the week , everyone’s tank isn’t different some people’s tank will harden over time others soften depending on what they have in there tank
The OP lowering the ph by water change would suggest to me they have something in there tank which is hardening the water over time

That’s not necessarily true my tank ph rises through water changes as my tank layout means the water softens slightly throughout the week , everyone’s tank isn’t different some people’s tank will harden over time others soften depending on what they have in there tank
The OP lowering the ph by water change would suggest to me they have something in there tank which is hardening the water over time
I still think we don't understand each other.
OP's water is getting more acidic by waterchanges. But the tapwater is less acidic.

If one does waterchanges with a Ph of 8 one wouldn't expect the wateechanges lower the Ph to 7,2.

Impossible in my opinion

I still think we don't understand each other.
OP's water is getting more acidic by waterchanges. But the tapwater is less acidic.

If one does waterchanges with a Ph of 8 one wouldn't expect the wateechanges lower the Ph to 7,2.

Impossible in my opinion
Yeah same wave length now .. my bad I’m reading it wrong I agree

Can I ask what are you using to condition your water?

When testing tap water for pH you must ensure any CO2 is out-gassed or the result may be inaccurate. Is the pH of 8 fresh run tap water, or tap water that has sat out for 245 hours (not in an aquarium, but just a glass or other container of fresh tap water left sitting for 24 hours)? This is your starting point.

Second, does your water authority add anything to raise the pH? Check their website.

And, are you adding any additives/substances, such as water conditioner (which one), and anything else?

Do you have live plants (these do impact pH diurnally)?

Water chemistry can be quite convoluted because every substance added can have some effect on the chemistry.

Do you have something like limestone or coral sand in your tank? The kH may be raising gradually during the week, only to be reduced every water change if the tap-water has very low low kH. This reduced alkalinity might mean any acids in the water from peat and such can now effect pH where previously it was being buffered.

Whether this is bad I do not know, I suppose it depends how big a pH swing is occurring. Perhaps twice weekly 30% changes would create more stabilty than a single 50%.... though normally I would advocate bigger water changes.

Have you measured the kH of you tap-water, and also monitored if it alters during the week in your tank? If rocks or substrate in your tank are raising kH, perhaps the gH is also being raised which may have implications on what you are stocking

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back