PH levels?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

kw96

Reaction score
Hi, Iā€™m in the process of cycling my first fish tank. (Itā€™s actually done cycling, Iā€™m just unsure about the PH levels) Itā€™s 3.5 gallons and Iā€™m going to get a betta fish. My PH levels are reading 8.2 with the API master test kit. I used the High Range PH tester because the regular one was reading the max. Is this PH level okay, or do I need to lower it before getting a betta? If I need to lower it, how do I go about doing that? I use tap water from my sink (itā€™s well water) and I use Seachem Prime to condition the water before putting it in the tank. Also, before getting the fish, do I need to do a water change or anything? Thanks!

Hi! The PH is a little high but it fluctuates throughout the day. I would test it again, perhaps AM and PM and see what you get. The betta will do ok at that range. Are you buying the betta locally? If so, heā€™s probably already acclimated to that PH range. You only need to change the water if the ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates are high. If tank is cycled you should have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 10 or below nitrates. If youā€™re in that range then youā€™re good to go. Adding some driftwood or India Almond leaves may help lower your Ph too. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
If you've used the fishless cycling method on here, your nitrate is probably quite a bit higher than your tap water level. In this case you need to do a large water change (virtually all the water) to remove the nitrate made during cycling.

Is the pH that of the tank or freshly run tap water?

As per my knowledge, it depends on which fish you have chosen. Most of the fish comfortable with 6.5 but some are comfortable with a little more 7.5. Cichlids and Discus are more sensitive where goldfish survive in dirty bowls.PH level also depends on tap water too. Most areas have water 6.5 to 7.5 range. So you must need to check the different mineral content.

Goldfish wonā€™t survive long in dirty bowels or clean bowls for that matter. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back