Ph Drop In Middle Of Cycle

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nike12301

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've been fishless cycling. The other day I added some TetraSafeStart and it really kick started things. My ammonia dropped a couple days later. Nitrite rose and then dropped.

Only problem was when I added more ammonia to feed the cycle, I didn't drop for a couple days. And now it's SLOWLY been dropping for the last three days.

Normally I check just ammonia and nitrite day.

Today I checked pH for the first time in about a week. It's plummeted from normally around 7.0 to 6.0. And it might be even lower than 6.0 - that's just the lowest reading the API kit will give.

What do I do now???? I've heard pH is really difficult to control . :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout: :shout:
Is this probably why the ammonia isn't dropping anymore????

This is my third setback since I purchased the tank about two months ago. I just want to get settled and buy fish. I'm 24 now and used to keep fish about 10 years ago - I don't remember it being this frustrating.

Any suggestions?

I'd do a large water change, probbably 75%, to get the pH back up to near tap pH. That should get your going again.

problem with most tap water it doesnt have total alkalinity...that stabilizes your PH...add a teaspoon of baking soda and wait for an hour and check PH again....once the alkilinity rises, the PH will also.... if I am not mistaken ammonia is is acidic and it took over your ph. My tap waters TA is awful..i have to supplement the TA to get it right... I also have no PH spikes either.

if I am not mistaken ammonia is is acidic and it took over your ph.

I'm afraid you are mistaken, my friend. Ammonia is a base (alkaline) and will drive pH up, not down. It is the process of ammonia and nitrite oxidation (nitrification) being performed by the filter bacteria which usually drives the pH down in a fishless cycle.

I agree with RDD. A large water change should get you back on track. :good:

BTT

Yep. Ammonia is base (ph around 12) but nitrate is acidic so the end result once things are moving is high nitrate that pushes it down. Since we only put a small amount of ammonia in our tanks (about 1ml per 5 gallons or about 5 ppm), it doesn't do anything to raise the pH. But since the end result of a fishless cycle is nitrates well over 100 ppm, it can drive the pH down.

Yep. Ammonia is base (ph around 12) but nitrate is acidic so the end result once things are moving is high nitrate that pushes it down. Since we only put a small amount of ammonia in our tanks (about 1ml per 5 gallons or about 5 ppm), it doesn't do anything to raise the pH. But since the end result of a fishless cycle is nitrates well over 100 ppm, it can drive the pH down.

I did a 75% change. The pH is back up to normal, around 7.2

In the days before the water change, My nitrites had risen and dropped. My nitrates were up to about 80. But my ammonia seemed to have stalled at 1.0, not being processed anymore.

Should I let it be now? Or add more ammonia to feed the cycle?

I would bump it back up to around 4 ppm and see what happens. The water change should get things moving gain.

I'm at my wit's end. It happened again.

I did a 75% water change. The pH jumped back up and my ammonia got processed right away, dropped right down to zero.

So I added some more ammonia the next day - hoping it would get processed. It didn't. I checked the pH and it crashed down to 6.0 again.

I just did another change. I'm assuming the same thing will happen all over again.

I can't do a water change everyday like this. How can I get this figured out? Even if I'm cycled, my pH will probably just drop again, won't it?. This has been such a head ache. :shout: :shout: :shout:

Any help would really be appreciated.

During a fishless cycle you can add baking soda to increase the buffering against rapid pH drops and then when you perform the large water change at the end before getting fish, the leftovers from this process will go out of the tank and you should stop adding any baking soda.

So to do this you get normal kitchen baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and make sure its not baking powder (which, in my opinion carries too much risk of some brands carrying other ingredients, so I avoid it.) You want to add something more than 1 teaspoon per 50 litres of water. I say this because 1tsp/50L will raise the buffer without raising the pH but in your case your tap water brought your pH only up to 7.2, so you could easily stand to go higher (8.0 to 8.4 is optimal for the desired bacterial growth)... so you could probably double what I've mentioned and see where that gets you pH wise and see then how fast the pH drops. pH of course should be measured twice a day along with your other tests. Its ideal to add the baking soda after a large water change.

~~waterdrop~~

Even if I'm cycled, my pH will probably just drop again, won't it?. This has been such a head ache. :shout: :shout: :shout:

I can't add much more than others have already about maintaining the pH, but you don't have to worry about it dropping again after the cycle. I had the same problem: I was changing water every 2 days or so just to keep it up. I asked the same thing you did about the problem continuing after the cycle, and I was assured that it wouldn't be a problem because the ammonia isn't being added in mass quantities like it is during the cycle. The water chemistry is changing so fast that the pH crashes. I've had fish in now for 3 months or so, and I haven't had a pH problem at all. Hope this helps keep your spirits up!

-P

Even if I'm cycled, my pH will probably just drop again, won't it?. This has been such a head ache. :shout: :shout: :shout:

I can't add much more than others have already about maintaining the pH, but you don't have to worry about it dropping again after the cycle. I had the same problem: I was changing water every 2 days or so just to keep it up. I asked the same thing you did about the problem continuing after the cycle, and I was assured that it wouldn't be a problem because the ammonia isn't being added in mass quantities like it is during the cycle. The water chemistry is changing so fast that the pH crashes. I've had fish in now for 3 months or so, and I haven't had a pH problem at all. Hope this helps keep your spirits up!

-P

Good for you P&J. I remember your cycle and I'm glad it's all going well. :good:

BTT

Thanks so much guys!! I would have given up if it wasn't for this place. I will try the baking soda tonight

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back