Ph Crash

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

justin85

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Just did a test of my water in my empty cycled tank and the ph has gone right down which is a bad thing for me as I am planning on keeping cichlids. All through my fishless cycle my ph was stable at 7.5, it has been cycled for over a week now and I have my fish coming next Tuesday so I have time to sort this issue out. Here's the results of my water tests:

Ph: 6
Ammonia: -
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: -
KH: 200
GH: 0

As you can see my ph has dropped also I didn't get a reading on my GH, I did 2 tests same results.

So the only thing I have added to the water in the last week (apart from ammonia) is Tropic Marin pro cichlid mineral which is ment to keep the PH high and I was guessing the GH.

Any help any advice would be much appreceated as I have 10 cichlids coming in 1 week.

Have you tested your tap water/water source? If not i suggest you do as additives by your water suppluer can drastically alter PH as far as im aware.
Id start there. If your water is higher then i would suggest something in your tank us buffering your PH. Was ut ok prior to adding the cichlid mineral?

My water out the tap is around 7 I think, I did test it when I moved in but can't remember the exact parameters, but I have not done a water change yet, this water has been in there a month at least 3 weeks of that was the cycle and the ph stayed at 7.5 the whole time, nothing added or removed, just a change in the temperature after the cycle was complete from 30c to 26c and I added the buffer, I tested the buffer before using in a bucket of water and the results were all good. I can't work out how the PH has droped from me adding a buffer that raises the PH

Is a puzzler for me too!! All i can suggest is check your tap water again as the watwr conpanies can change the additives anytime & without notice and compare the readings. Also, id do a substantial water change and then check again without the additive then go from there. If you have added nothing to the tank then i can only suggest its the water or obviously, the additive.
Either way you will be doing regular qater changes when your fish arrive so you will have to see what happens qhen you do so better off starting now IMO.
Would appreciate keeping us posted with this as is an interesting one!!

Now mate, i was just reading and on a thread on here called 'Water test results, cycling day three' another person has asked about PH crashing which seems to have been answered by site member Taffy Apple so may be worth jumping on the back of to see if you can get bit more info.

My tap water tests at around 7.2, but after settling in the tank it crashes to 6.0. So I buffer the water with a small bag of crushed coral in the outflow of my filter. It has worked well for me for about a year and a half. You can experiment with how much coral produces what level of pH.

Forum user Robby wrote up a good article on it:

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/312063-my-ph-keeps-dropping/

Yo, Robby! Have not seen you trolling the fish aisle at Petsmart recently. I just had to replace my canister filter, and I lost one of my Rams.

Oh no! Nah, I don't have any tanks running anymore. My fish are all at my mother in law's house. She still has both of your rams though, they are still doing well.

To the OP, read this thread: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/402016-questions-about-ph-and-kh/

A good discussion ongoing about this very issue.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back