Petsmart/petco

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I am amazed at how cheap your tanks are over there!! No wonder every other person seems to have 55 gallons+. My 80l tank cost £170, if I remember rightly. That's $240 for around 20 gallons! This country is such a rip off :angry:

I am amazed at how cheap your tanks are over there!! No wonder every other person seems to have 55 gallons+. My 80l tank cost £170, if I remember rightly. That's $240 for around 20 gallons! This country is such a rip off :angry:
Wow... I wish I could get a 65 gallon... My lfs sells it for $270... But its too expensive for me. I hope your stores rethink their pricing. A 55 gallon here in the U.S at petco costs $74.99 but at petsmart here it costs 129.99.
One day... Just one day I will get that 65 gallon.

Wow... I wish I could get a 65 gallon... My lfs sells it for $270... But its too expensive for me. I hope your stores rethink their pricing. A 55 gallon here in the U.S at petco costs $74.99 but at petsmart here it costs 129.99.
One day... Just one day I will get that 65 gallon.
🤞 you'll get there!

Just saying, the price of the actual tank is small compared to the STAND, FILTER, HEATER, LIGHTING/TOP/HOOD. Over 80%+ of the start-up cost are from these items. Shop the price of these and save big-time. I can get aquariums at a buck a gallon all day long by shopping for best pricing, but the accessories always kill the set-up cost! Stand costs are NUTS! I recently set up 2 different 29G tanks with live plants. The total cost of the first was $550, the 2nd was $450 (I got smarter with the accessories). The actual cost for each 29g tank was $32 (the rest was to get them set up - fish, not included). Two 29G tanks set-up complete with plants for $1000, without fish.

Last edited:
Just saying, the price of the actual tank is small compared to the STAND, FILTER, HEATER, LIGHTING/TOP/HOOD. Over 80%+ of the start-up cost are from these items. Shop the price of these and save big-time. I can get aquariums at a buck a gallon all day long by shopping for best pricing, but the accessories always kill the set-up cost! Stand costs are NUTS! I recently set up 2 different 29G tanks with live plants. The total cost of the first was $550, the 2nd was $450 (I got smarter with the accessories). The actual cost for each 29g tank was $32 (the rest was to get them set up - fish, not included). Two 29G tanks set-up complete with plants for $1000, without fish.
Wow. Yah ive always been a deal finder. I try my best... But I think ive met my match lol

Petco is currently having their 50% sale, they changed the $1 per gallon to 50% the 10, 20 (high and long), 29, 40B, 55, and 75. Their lids are also on sale.
If you have a Pet Supplies Plus near you they also do regular tank sales. I think they also switched from $1/gal to 50% off because why not. TBH its not that much of a difference price wise for the smaller tanks; 10 gallons are going for $9.99 at Petco so its basically $1/gallon.

I don't ever recommend buying a kit. The filters are not the best and usually just at or under what you should really be filtering at. Lights are also not the best and heaters are iffy. I prefer to research the best components for my setup and if its a little more than a kit it will save me in the long run with quality and fish life.

I don't ever recommend buying a kit. The filters are not the best and usually just at or under what you should really be filtering at. Lights are also not the best and heaters are iffy. I prefer to research the best components for my setup and if its a little more than a kit it will save me in the long run with quality and fish life.

Very wise advice. :good:

The only time I can see it being sensible to buy a kit is if the entire kit is cheaper than buying the tank alone somewhere else, such as if you don’t have a Petco near you to get those 50% off sales. Then you can purchase a higher quality filter, heater, and whatever else.

Petco is currently having their 50% sale, they changed the $1 per gallon to 50% the 10, 20 (high and long), 29, 40B, 55, and 75. Their lids are also on sale.
If you have a Pet Supplies Plus near you they also do regular tank sales. I think they also switched from $1/gal to 50% off because why not. TBH its not that much of a difference price wise for the smaller tanks; 10 gallons are going for $9.99 at Petco so its basically $1/gallon.

Sadly... I only have 2 petsmarts and 2 lfs near me... They rarely do sales so everything is above and beyond lol... Although my lfs actually prices things fairly well except for the tanks

Only one of my tanks hasn't a totally fixed built in light and therefore the option to improve on it. I haven't yet found a tank for sale over here that doesn't come with a complete kit, which is frustrating.

Non-kit tanks are pretty rare in the UK. The vast majority come with everything included. I think Clearseal are tank & lid only, and of course custom built don't come with anything as standard, just the tank and lid.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back