Petsmart/petco

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So... Ive heard petsmart doesn't do dollar per gallon sales... Do they or not? I would LOVE to go to petco even for their normal priced aqueon tanks... They are very well priced. But the closest petco is 1 hour 4 mins away not including lights and traffic. I already have a 20 gallon high but I kinda got caught up in buying a tank and got a high and I know I should've waited. I'm also really upset that NO PLACE around me prices their aquariums low. My lfs prices a 20H at $45! Thats really high. I didnt know at at the time until after I bought it... My parents told me to deal with my decision and they dont want to go all the way an hour out to get a good deal. (Which makes sense from their point of view.) I'm thinking I can only put fish that can live in 10 gallon aquariums in a 20H. I'm just at a loss cause I thought I could put 20 gallon fish in a 20H but no cause its only as long as a 10... So this situation makes me feel like an idiot.

Petco does $1 per gallon sales on tanks sized 10 gallons, 20H, 20L, and 29, above that is only half off. They do the sale a few times a year, not exactly sure when. PetSmart doesn‘t, unfortunately.

A 20H should actually be 4 inches longer than a 10 gallon, which does open up a few options. What fish are you hoping to keep?

One thing I have noticed though is that if you watch the price on PetSmarts “Top Fin Essentials” tank kit it regularly goes pretty cheap. I bought a 55 gallon, tank only, for $75 from Petco around the same time PetSmart had their 55 gallon tank kit for only $100, which came with the tank, a cheap filter, heater, and net. If you are looking for a good price and are happy to wait, watching the price on that could be helpful, maybe?

Another thing if you are buying from a chain store like PetSmart, alwaysssssss check their online store first, you can save tons of money by showing them the online price and asking them to match it when you check out (I got a pack of filter media for my tank, it was $6 in person and only $1.70 on their online store, and they are always willing to match the pricing of their own store)

Petco does $1 per gallon sales on tanks sized 10 gallons, 20H, 20L, and 29, above that is only half off. They do the sale a few times a year, not exactly sure when. PetSmart doesn‘t, unfortunately.

A 20H should actually be 4 inches longer than a 10 gallon, which does open up a few options. What fish are you hoping to keep?

One thing I have noticed though is that if you watch the price on PetSmarts “Top Fin Essentials” tank kit it regularly goes pretty cheap. I bought a 55 gallon, tank only, for $75 from Petco around the same time PetSmart had their 55 gallon tank kit for only $100, which came with the tank, a cheap filter, heater, and net. If you are looking for a good price and are happy to wait, watching the price on that could be helpful, maybe?

Another thing if you are buying from a chain store like PetSmart, alwaysssssss check their online store first, you can save tons of money by showing them the online price and asking them to match it when you check out (I got a pack of filter media for my tank, it was $6 in person and only $1.70 on their online store, and they are always willing to match the pricing of their own store)
I'm hoping to keep peacock gudgeons and some cories with another small schooling fish. Also thank you for telling me about petsmart sometimes doing those sales. But... My mom doesnt want a 48in aquarium so no 55g for me lol.

I'm hoping to keep peacock gudgeons and some cories with another small schooling fish. Also thank you for telling me about petsmart sometimes doing those sales. But... My mom doesnt want a 48in aquarium so no 55g for me lol.

I see no reason why your 20g High (basic, at 24 inches/60cm length) will not be fine for a group of cories and a small group of peacock gudgeons. And you could add a small-sized shoaling upper-water fish too. You need a sand substrate though, play sand is the least expensive that is perfect in an aquarium, and good floating plants. Lots of chunks of wood for the gudgeon and the cories.

I see no reason why your 20g High (basic, at 24 inches/60cm length) will not be fine for a group of cories and a small group of peacock gudgeons. And you could add a small-sized shoaling upper-water fish too. You need a sand substrate though, play sand is the least expensive that is perfect in an aquarium, and good floating plants. Lots of chunks of wood for the gudgeon and the cories.
Thats the plan. I will be using some black aquarium sand, driftwood, java ferns, anubias, and some dragon rock to decorate the aquarium.

If you want peacock gudgeons/gobies I would add some small caves - these fish like tight spaces to spawn in. You could arrange the wood or dragonstone to create some small tiny spaces.

Make sure you can tell the difference between males and females. Mature males have a hump at the fron of the head but juvenile males at the store probably won't have developed this yet. If any have a hump, you can be sure it's a male, but those without the hump could be either. So look at the anal fin. Females will have black on the outer egde; some have black edge extending the length of the fin, some just have tiny patches of black. A male will have no black, though maybe a red edge.

If you want peacock gudgeons/gobies I would add some small caves - these fish like tight spaces to spawn in. You could arrange the wood or dragonstone to create some small tiny spaces.

Make sure you can tell the difference between males and females. Mature males have a hump at the fron of the head but juvenile males at the store probably won't have developed this yet. If any have a hump, you can be sure it's a male, but those without the hump could be either. So look at the anal fin. Females will have black on the outer egde; some have black edge extending the length of the fin, some just have tiny patches of black. A male will have no black, though maybe a red edge.
Well... My lfs doesnt have gudgeons but I'm not sure about my nearest petsmart... I'm planning on odering a group of 3 online and sending a request for 1 male and 2 females and the site I'm using says they will try their best to do so but sometimes they are unable to...

Well... My lfs doesnt have gudgeons but I'm not sure about my nearest petsmart... I'm planning on odering a group of 3 online and sending a request for 1 male and 2 females and the site I'm using says they will try their best to do so but sometimes they are unable to...

You might want to rethink the numbers and get a small group. This excerpt from Seriously Fish explains:
The peacock goby can be kept in small groups without problems. They will squabble amongst themselves, but this is almost always restricted to displaying and flaring and in fact makes for a more entertaining spectacle than if you just have a couple.
More in that profile:

You might want to rethink the numbers and get a small group. This excerpt from Seriously Fish explains:
The peacock goby can be kept in small groups without problems. They will squabble amongst themselves, but this is almost always restricted to displaying and flaring and in fact makes for a more entertaining spectacle than if you just have a couple.
More in that profile:

So more than 3 I suppose?

So more than 3 I suppose?

Yes, you would need two or three males in order to have the "squabbles" and obviously equal females presumably. The suggested tank size is a smaller one than you have, so this should be no problem in your tank.

Yes, you would need two or three males in order to have the "squabbles" and obviously equal females presumably. The suggested tank size is a smaller one than you have, so this should be no problem in your tank.
Ok. So I can or cannot do 1 male and 2 females? Sorry... I get confused easily sometimes...

Ok. So I can or cannot do 1 male and 2 females? Sorry... I get confused easily sometimes...

I will answer that by saying the fish will apparently be better if there is a small group of six, and you will get more enjoyment from having this species because it will be able to interact naturally. I would not jeopardize this, as the fish wins and you win.

I will answer that by saying the fish will apparently be better if there is a small group of six, and you will get more enjoyment from having this species because it will be able to interact naturally. I would not jeopardize this, as the fish wins and you win.
Ok... Will 6 actually fit in my 20 High?

They offer the “top fin essentials” kit in 5, 10, 20, and 55 gallons! I only used 55 as an example because that was the only one I remember making a mental note of the price on

They offer the “top fin essentials” kit in 5, 10, 20, and 55 gallons! I only used 55 as an example because that was the only one I remember making a mental note of the price on
Ah ok.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back