Pets At Home

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I went to P@H in Colchester today. Perfectly fine, fish looked really healthy.

On the other hand, I also went to seapets, and counted at least 5 dead fish in their tanks...and they looked like they hadn't been cleaned for about 3 weeks. Definitely put me off buying anything from there.

yeah seapets has gone right downhill lately . i went there before pets at home , those poor oscars were in a shocking state werent they ,

Just ordered my tank from them don't say that haha

Even tho I'm pretty new to the hobby I find P@H ok for plants and most fish, never seen a dead one in the tanks however have seen the "this fish is undergoing treatment and can't be sold" signs up on a number of tanks.
No snails yet on mine - yet!

sensesfail , ive never ordered anything online form them so cant comment but the local seapets shop is ok for dry goods so im sure it will be fine

When I use to frequent the P@H Colchester I liked them, they have above average fish knowledge and decent care for their stock.

Saw the post and laughed, my P@H store love having white spot and so many dead fish lol, wouldnt let any1 i know go to a P@H store without me there to point out diseases.. Haha

I also managed to get compensation due to them selling me fish with white spot and even tho they gave me Melafix and white spot treatment.. BUT A BIG BUT this then killed half my fish! Also i had to buy clown loach as their plants love having snails on them haha

Well that's your fault for improper quarantine procedures, lack of choosing healthy fish and not cleaning plants from the store, I don't really see how its the stores fault because their merchandise is dodgy especially with the white spot. Everyone's water has white spot parasites in it, its just a case of the fish needing to get stressed and their immune system to drop to be susceptible to it, same as a human getting the flu. I believe the store was very generous to give you the treatmen and should act in its credit not to its disdain.

My nearest p@h is terrible, every tank has loads of dead fish and often they have been there so long the bodies are covered in fungus. Last time I went in they had a dying oscar wedged head downwards in a plant. Another time I was there they had a tank full of dozens of yellow male guppies and they were all dead bar one lonely fish. Of course I stupidly felt sorry for the poor thing and brought him home but only managed to keep him alive for 2 weeks or so.

On the plus side, the staff are all youngsters but are lovely and seem keen to learn about the fish in their care and I've had many good chats with them about various species and their requirements. Most feel bad about the dead fish but say they arrive like that and there's nothing they can do about it. As for the dead fish not being removed, I can see for myself there is often only one member of aquatic staff on the floor dealing with customers and they don't have the time to keep on top of it.

When I use to frequent the P@H Colchester I liked them, they have above average fish knowledge and decent care for their stock.

Saw the post and laughed, my P@H store love having white spot and so many dead fish lol, wouldnt let any1 i know go to a P@H store without me there to point out diseases.. Haha

I also managed to get compensation due to them selling me fish with white spot and even tho they gave me Melafix and white spot treatment.. BUT A BIG BUT this then killed half my fish! Also i had to buy clown loach as their plants love having snails on them haha

Well that's your fault for improper quarantine procedures, lack of choosing healthy fish and not cleaning plants from the store, I don't really see how its the stores fault because their merchandise is dodgy especially with the white spot. Everyone's water has white spot parasites in it, its just a case of the fish needing to get stressed and their immune system to drop to be susceptible to it, same as a human getting the flu.

very good point!

BORING! they sold me fish with diseases.. N kept the diseased fish on sale for another week! Not bein a joker, but they shouldnt be doin that, just so the poor beginers in this hobbie have to fork out for treatments when in the first place they SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN SOLD!

Dont worry mate, I look at fish properly now thanks BRUV!

N also you can clean the plants but it can still hold snail eggs GEEZ!

BORING! they sold me fish with diseases.. N kept the diseased fish on sale for another week! Not bein a joker, but they shouldnt be doin that, just so the poor beginers in this hobbie have to fork out for treatments when in the first place they SHOULDNT HAVE BEEN SOLD!

Fish stores are there predominantly as a business, to make money. You have to take responsibility for your own purchasing skills. Like it or not, it's not their problem, it's yours.
Also, that response had some pretty uneccessary attitude to it, in my opinion.

but snails are not a fish killer!

saltney is right, by making this valid point. a quarantine tank would have avoided your problem. it up to us/you, to protect our/your tank. refusing to accept YOUR part in the problem and getting "narky" about it, wont help. remembering again, P@H are no worse than many others.

interesting though, on balance, the comments are favourable. :nod:

Well no one really helps each over on dis site, ppl just gt dere own OPINIONS lmfao

Well no one really helps each over on dis site, ppl just gt dere own OPINIONS lmfao

This is a very helpful site, you just have to take the advice.
Yes people do have there own opinions, however you will find they are usually informed and knowledgable opinions.

Everyone helps each other. Whats with the attitude. The inability to write properly so thet people can read what your saying. Yes they shouldn't sell fish with white spot but you don't have to buy them. Also white spot is easy enough to treat and with the right dosage should not cause any harm too over fish. Shrimp & Puffers should be carefull though and use the salt treatment.

Snails on plants comes from every place. P@H get them from the same place meny others do. They do not add more snails once they arrive. I have often received plants from MA and Aqua Essentials with snails on. This has never bothered me as I make sure they are well rinsed and if you are that worried use a quarantine tank and treat for snails for a week or so first.

No need to say you had to buy a clown loach just to get rid of them. There are plenty of other ways.

I agree my P@H isn't very good with no aquatic staff and cleaning low but I have only seen a few dead fish and bearing in mind how they are delived and that. I think on this occasion P@H seemed to be good for giving the medication and I would expect most retailers to say you need this but it costs x amount.

I'd just like to add, earlier someone said something about there being signs on the tank about fish not being for sale due to them being treated. I would see that as a good thing. The vast majority of fish are mass produced at 'fish farm' facilities and then traval huge distances in plastic bags. When they are at the LFS there is generally quite a lot of illness and deaths. When I worked at an LFS we kept on top of this by examining the tanks very frequently, getting rid of any dead fish and putting any ill ones into a quarantine system in a staff only section of the store. A lot of stores may not have access to a quarantine systems, wther it be due to space or other reasons. The fact they don't sell ill fish and do treat the tank can only be a good thing.

fantastic attitude , youre a credit to the hobby :good: caution this post may contain sarcasm :lol: take a chill pill mate

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back