Pets At Home

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

markandhisfish

comfortably numb
Reaction score
with all the negative posts about bad experiences with pets at home and fish , i thought i would share my experience of my local pets at home as it gos to prove that there will be the odd good 1 .

yesterday i wanted to swap my lutino oscars for tiger oscars. i took the lutinos back to my most trusted lfs. they didnt have any but i knew i had a couple more shops that usualy have oscars localy so i left the lutinos there and went on to the next shop. they had reds but not tigers , and the reds were in disgusting condition. next shop didnt have any. so in desperation i rang pets at home. they said they had some so down i went. walked into the fish dept and every tank was spotless with plenty of silk plants for the fish to feel more secure. all fish were in excellent health and i didnt spot a single dead fish

so i went to look at the oscars , found 2 i liked and got a staff member to get them for me . she asked all the right questions about tank size etc , then i asked how long they had the oscars in for , she said about 2 and a half weeks . i asked her to drop some food in their tank. she happily obliged and every single oscar in the tank was exatcly as you would expect , after the food with gusto. i bought the 2 tigers , they settled in straight away and started feeding winthin an hour and are a picture of health.

so pets at home colchester , well done a diamond in the rough .

I like it!! When i read your post on the main screen reading "pets at home" I thought not another complaint or choice of words. Really nice to hear some good story and experience. I'm sure they are not all bad as you have just proven!

lol i thought it would look that way when people see pets at home for the 10000th time :lol: but i thought sod it i found my local 1 to be good so they should be praised. theres pics of the fish in the new world cichlid section , so you can judge the health of them for yourself .

Hi i think its more down to the person who is in charge of the fish in the shop. The two near me look 'ok' but there are allot of other fish shops so im spoiled for choice.
Glad it wasnt another negative post :good:
Lloyd

Good for you to find the exeption to the rule. I buy a lot of plants & hardware from my local p@h so often overhear the advice given to new fishkeepers, I have to bite my toungue to keep quiet. I somtemes look at the fish as well. every time I have I would say 25% of the tanks have dead fish inside.

Not good. I wish my p@h was like yours.

Good for you to find the exeption to the rule. I buy a lot of plants & hardware from my local p@h so often overhear the advice given to new fishkeepers, I have to bite my toungue to keep quiet. I somtemes look at the fish as well. every time I have I would say 25% of the tanks have dead fish inside.

Not good. I wish my p@h was like yours.

its not UNIQUE, not by a long way. the advice they give is, broadly, the same you get from any LFS. so, some are good some are bad.

i find it odd you are prepared to support a firm you, obviously, think treats fish badly. why, to save a few £? you cant be that worried the.. if it were that bad, i wouldn't go within a mile of it, let alone support their effort by buying stuff there.

I went there yesterday to buy my new tank and the assistant was really helpful :D
She told me what order I should put my current fish in, what chemicals to use to help start the filter, etc.
The tanks were pretty good, and I only saw one dead guppy, so no, they aren't always bad :lol:

half of the tanks carnt sell any because they need treatment at my pets at home.
did get a goldfish from there 7 years ago thought and thats still alive. :good:

Attachments

• Bi9W6QCGkKGrHqUOKjcEs6mnmri9BLRjCpc.gif
    Bi9W6QCGkKGrHqUOKjcEs6mnmri9BLRjCpc.gif
    8.7 KB · Views: 49
mine is hit and miss.. just went there today and there large cilchid tank was empty n being scrubbed out when yesterday it was full :/ they didnt look healthy at all so i guess they died overnight

I went to P@H in Colchester today. Perfectly fine, fish looked really healthy.

On the other hand, I also went to seapets, and counted at least 5 dead fish in their tanks...and they looked like they hadn't been cleaned for about 3 weeks. Definitely put me off buying anything from there.

I went to P@H in Colchester today. Perfectly fine, fish looked really healthy.

On the other hand, I also went to seapets, and counted at least 5 dead fish in their tanks...and they looked like they hadn't been cleaned for about 3 weeks. Definitely put me off buying anything from there.

yeah seapets has gone right downhill lately . i went there before pets at home , those poor oscars were in a shocking state werent they ,

Aberdeen Pets at home is awesome too had everything from Oscars to rainbow garra, couldn't believe it, and once again tanks were pristine. On the other hand Aberdeens Acorn pets centre is a joke. They have "crispy critters" i.e fish that have jumped out of the tank and down between two tanks so are unretrievable so they just get left to die. Just a filthy store in general. Like I said pets at home are in-fact great.

Saw the post and laughed, my P@H store love having white spot and so many dead fish lol, wouldnt let any1 i know go to a P@H store without me there to point out diseases.. Haha

I also managed to get compensation due to them selling me fish with white spot and even tho they gave me Melafix and white spot treatment.. BUT A BIG BUT this then killed half my fish! Also i had to buy clown loach as their plants love having snails on them haha

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back