Petition Petco to raise Betta min tank size from 0.25 gal to 3 gal in their "Betta Care Sheet"

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

bettaworldforbettas

Reaction score
Hi --

I started a petition for Petco to raise their recommended min aquarium size for Betta fish from 0.25 gal to 3 gal in their Betta Care Sheet. Right now when you grab a Betta care pamphlet in their store or look online, it says min: 1/4 gal!

Here is the link: https://www.change.org/Petco-Betta-Min

I said 3 gal because this is what PetSmart recommends in their Betta care guide, and this would be a simple change that Petco could make that would help consumers make better choices. This would also be a way to consolidate support and demonstrate that proper Betta care is becoming more common knowledge.

Even though Petco could continue to sell tiny tanks, if their Betta care guide suggested 3 gal -- this would be a step in the right direction towards changing the narrative that Bettas "prefer" super tiny tanks.

Please sign and share if you are interested.

Also -- I've been working to grow a presence on social media to bring more attention to these issues -- so please follow on Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, if you'd like -- also please share any thoughts/suggestions/ideas you might have.

Petco and PetSmart Betta Minimum Aquarium Size.jpgInPetition-Betta-Min-Petco-BettaWorldForBettas.gif

Thanks for reading!

Hi --

I started a petition for Petco to raise their recommended min aquarium size for Betta fish from 0.25 gal to 3 gal in their Betta Care Sheet. Right now when you grab a Betta care pamphlet in their store or look online, it says min: 1/4 gal!

Here is the link: https://www.change.org/Petco-Betta-Min

I said 3 gal because this is what PetSmart recommends in their Betta care guide, and this would be a simple change that Petco could make that would help consumers make better choices. This would also be a way to consolidate support and demonstrate that proper Betta care is becoming more common knowledge.

Even though Petco could continue to sell tiny tanks, if their Betta care guide suggested 3 gal -- this would be a step in the right direction towards changing the narrative that Bettas "prefer" super tiny tanks.

Please sign and share if you are interested.

Also -- I've been working to grow a presence on social media to bring more attention to these issues -- so please follow on Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, if you'd like -- also please share any thoughts/suggestions/ideas you might have.

View attachment 123827View attachment 123826

Thanks for reading!
I signed! :lol:

I understand what you are doing and why you are doing it, and i give you large kudos for your effort. But the entire industry has to change and not just Petco.

When people that don't have a clue walk into most common chain petstores even Walmart what do they see setting on selves in the fish section....tiny cups with bettas in them. That right there needs to change, it gives clueless people their first impression that bettas can live in a tiny cup of water. So when they buy a 1/2 gallon plastic container that is marked for keeping bettas, to them it is an upgrade. And sorry to say, because I am guilty of this myself, many people don't take time to read material setting around to inform them of how to better take care of these fish.

Instead the clueless relies on what the employee of the store is saying, and to many of these people are clueless also.

I understand what you are doing and why you are doing it, and i give you large kudos for your effort. But the entire industry has to change and not just Petco.

When people that don't have a clue walk into most common chain petstores even Walmart what do they see setting on selves in the fish section....tiny cups with bettas in them. That right there needs to change, it gives clueless people their first impression that bettas can live in a tiny cup of water. So when they buy a 1/2 gallon plastic container that is marked for keeping bettas, to them it is an upgrade. And sorry to say, because I am guilty of this myself, many people don't take time to read material setting around to inform them of how to better take care of these fish.

Instead the clueless relies on what the employee of the store is saying, and to many of these people are clueless also.
I agree with you completely.. and it doesn’t only apply to Betta fish, but any fish you’d find in a chain store.. (think goldfish) unfortunately, it seems like an endless cycle of cluelessness.

Hi Utar -- I completely agree. I think this wou

Hi Utar -- I definitely agree with you. I think this could be a small step in the right direction but there is so much that needs to change. This seems like something easy and concrete Petco can do...because 1/4 gallon seems way too small for even novice fishkeepers.

There does seem to be a growing number of people who know about proper betta care, so hopefully in time the pet industry will see that it's in their best interest to avoid the sale of way too small "betta starter tanks", and make them outdated. I know profit is always going to be the bottom line...

You’ve got my backing but I’m over here. I do however have discussions with the kid in pets at home who says their policy is it’s ok to put male betas in with gouramis.
Itll be ok until it isn’t.

You’ve got my backing but I’m over here. I do however have discussions with the kid in pets at home who says their policy is it’s ok to put male betas in with gouramis.
Itll be ok until it isn’t.
Aw hahah, I'm sure you've helped avoid many fish tragedies that way. Thanks for the support!

Perhaps we should start right here and remove the "no minimum tank size" statement? It was reviewed last year but the result was it was to remain unchanged.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back