Pest snails?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

juno26

Reaction score
I bought some plants yesterday and some tiny snails hitchhiked their way to my tank. Should I get rid of them or are they harmless? My tank is currently cycling and has no fish in it. Iā€™ve counted 5 so far.

Attachments

• A7F7269F-DA61-4177-8C11-21D4BC9F46B2.jpeg
    A7F7269F-DA61-4177-8C11-21D4BC9F46B2.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 8F30E130-1868-463D-AFC1-A0E8BFB2E9C8.jpeg
    8F30E130-1868-463D-AFC1-A0E8BFB2E9C8.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 67
Some will tell you to get rid of them because they don't like having snails in their tanks. But they are actually good for a tank. I can't tell from the photos of they are Lymnaeids or Physids, but if you can pick one out to examine it then compare the way the shell spirals to the photos in this thread you'll find out which they are, and more info on them https://www.fishforums.net/threads/freshwater-snail-species-in-the-hobby.424364/

These snails can become a problem if they take over a tank. The way to keep the numbers under control is to restrict their food. This means not overfeeding the fish as uneaten food feeds the snails. And make sure you hoover up any debris from the bottom of the tank, and if you have gravel clean that at every water change deep down with the siphon except round plants roots to remove uneaten food that's found its way down

I had an infestation of them and took over 100 out of my tank the last week. o_OI reduced the food I feed my fish but fed them more often so they ate most of the food. I have 6 nerites snails in my 55 gallon take that do a good job already. Like you I picked up some new plants and got these. I only see a couple a day now and capture them and place them in my snail tank :)

As others have mentioned, the snails here are harmless (whether pond snails or bladder snails). They eat organics--fish excrement, dead plant matter, uneateen fish food--so they will reproduce according to the food availability. Keep that in mind--they are there at "x" numbers because that is how much food they have.

yep, looks like a bladder snail. Very common and harmless, but they reproduce very quickly so if you don't want them i'd remove them now, while there isn't too many. It wouldn't surprise me if they've already laid their eggs on various surfaces. They're almost impossible to get rid of once they get a foothold.

Snails and fish tanks go together like peanut butter and tunafish ;)
I never had a peanut butter and tuna sandwich :yuk: I think you meant to say peanut butter and jelly or peanut butter and marshmallow fluff :lol:

I never had a peanut butter and tuna sandwich :yuk: I think you meant to say peanut butter and jelly or peanut butter and marshmallow fluff :lol:
Yeah my dad used to make peanut butter and tuna fish, sounds gross but its actually pretty good:)

Thanks all for the information! I think Iā€™m going to leave them for now and if it gets out of control Iā€™ll set a trap or something.

Puffers are great for getting rid of snails
[/QUOTE
Puffers are considered species tank fish and should only be kept with other puffers, while they do eat snails theyll also beat up most other fish species.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back