Persistent Pop Eye

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Miss Wiggle

Practically perfect in every way
Reaction score
one of our nannacara anomala has had pop eye for about a week now, we've been treating with Myaxin, course is now nearly done but no improvement.

tank is 60 gals, we had a nightmare a few months ago when the heater plug got knocked, temp dropped and we lost about half the stock, not re stocked it yet as we haven't the time or the money so it's currently home to

4 melatonia praecox (all male)
4 nannacara anomala (1 m 3 f, it's one of the f that's poorly)
2 bristlenose plecs (1m 1f)
about 10 amano shrimp

so clearly understocked, got a fluval and a tetratec on there, can't remember the exact models but it's plenty enough filtration

water is

ammonia - 0
nitrite - 0
nitrate around 10ppm
pH - 7.4

I think what triggered it is a very short mini cycle, the plants were very overgrown, we pruned them significantly, tested the water the same day and there was no ammonia or nitrite but i imagine there may have been a short blip, that day we spotted the pop eye, did a large water change that day, picked up some myaxin the next day as our meds were out of date, been treating and testing the water for a week, all other fish look completely healthy.

pop eye (as we have affectionately called her) just has one big bulgy eye, her colouring is very dark and she's hovering around the bottom of the tank much like you would get with a bacterial infection.

myaxin is supposed to treat pop eye and bacterial infections so it should be sorting either but we've seen no improvement at all. starting to think about putting her out of her misery, just wondering if anyone has any miraculous pop eye cure suggestions?

Myxazin not that good on popeye if it's severe, it says it only controls it. What ever that meant to mean.

I would try anti internal bacteria med by interpet.

my mollie had pop eye for 3 days i just did a big water change and after a couple of days all was well. not sure if she bumped it cause it was just the one eye

interesting, i've never had to deal with serious pop eye before (likewise had a bout that just needed a water change once) so never looked into the meds in detail. Just used Myaxin for bacterial problems sucessfully in the past and as it also say's it treats pop eye on the bottle we just chose that.

Will see how she's doing today when I get home and decide if it's too late to start another course of treatment or not :/

sadly she didn't make it through the night :rip:

Bless Her. R.I.P.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back