Peroxide Dip for java fern

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Mandyfawn29

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to live aquarium plants and was wondering how to do a peroxide dip on java fern? How long do I dip it for? Is it safe to do peroxide dip on plants going into an African dwarf frog tank? Also I have java moss and guppy grass as well but was advised no to use peroxide dip on these plants. How so I make sure they are bacterial and parasite free before adding them to my tank? Thank you.

I used to do bleach dips but you can use peroxide instead. I'm not sure of the dose rates but it's actually safer than bleach. Just shake most of the water off the plants and gently touch dry them with a tea towel or paper towel. Then put the plants in a container of hydrogen peroxide and water for a minute or two before lifting them out. Rinse them off with tap water and soak in a bucket of water for an hour. Rinse again and put them in the tank.

You can put Java Moss in bleach or peroxide too. It is fine. No idea what guppy grass is but it should be fine too. If you are concerned about a plant, put a small one in some peroxide and monitor it. See how long it takes for the leaf to change colour. This is the maximum time the plant can be in the solution so put it in for less time than that.

Most plants aren't too bad for carrying diseases. Many will have snails or snail eggs and you can usually see the eggs. They look like small clumps of clear jelly with little dots in. Just scrape these off with your finger nail and leave the eggs on the garden bed to dry out.

If the plants are grown in their own tank without fish, they shouldn't need bleaching or dipping in peroxide. Same deal if they are tissue cultured plants. Just rinse these and plant them in the aquarium.

I have used a peroxide dip, can't remember the concentration, to remove BBA from some of my plants. Mostly though I make a 20:1 solution of regular bleach to treat plants. I dip them in the solution for 2 minutes, the thoroughly rinse them in running water then place them in tub of treated water using the chlorine treatment, before putting them in a tank. Any plant that I get regardless of its origin is treated this way before going into any of my tanks. I haven't lost a plant using the bleach method, but then I don't use a lot of sensitive plants, Amazon Swords, Vals (normal and jungle), water lettuce, and a few other common types.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back