Peppered Cory Paler than Usual

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

azvictoria

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a nice trio of peppered corys, all around 5-6 years old. One looks like it's paled slightly. Eats, swims around like normal. Water parameters are great, no ammonia, nitrite or nitrates, regular changes. 60 gallon, one large angel, 2 otos, some neons and a couple of nerite snails - no new fish. This paler one is always very close to my largest cory, which is new behavior. They usually mob together but the paler one is now almost on top of my largest - is this a breeding thing? I've read they live a long time, hoping age isn't the deal. It's not ghost white or anything, spots still visible and busy as always in the substrate. The only thing that is new with the tank is lighting - went from a tube to LEDs on a 24 hour sunrise to off mode (it does turn totally off at night). Ideas?

probably stress from the new light, one of my cories died from that, please be careful!
i was about to add: cories liek groups of 6+ in a big tank of 60g, but i do not know since they're already very big :)

probably stress from the new light, one of my cories died from that, please be careful!
i was about to add: cories liek groups of 6+ in a big tank of 60g, but i do not know since they're already very big :)
They are all pretty big kids and seem to have thrived for a long time together. I will keep an eye on the lights - they do have lots of dark places to hide - a cave, a big cutout under a ship ornament, lots of plants. The light is brighter during mid-day, but otherwise is phasing a lot and dimmer than the old one during those times. I'm watching the cory now, and it does seem to be displaying to the big one - I've never had a spawning pair of corys but now I'm wondering if I do now!

They are all pretty big kids and seem to have thrived for a long time together. I will keep an eye on the lights - they do have lots of dark places to hide - a cave, a big cutout under a ship ornament, lots of plants. The light is brighter during mid-day, but otherwise is phasing a lot and dimmer than the old one during those times. I'm watching the cory now, and it does seem to be displaying to the big one - I've never had a spawning pair of corys but now I'm wondering if I do now!
i think you do! that is very rare, and fry are hard to take care of i heard, anybody know about fry stuff?

Most likely stress... did you just get this one? Or is it from your 5-6 year group?

Any chance of a picture of it and the others?

I'll try tomorrow - it's dark here now. This fish is from the original group of three - got them all at the same time. The other two have no color change.

I'll try tomorrow - it's dark here now. This fish is from the original group of three - got them all at the same time. The other two have no color change.
I live in Colorado as well and there is a place called the fish den in which you could get more corys. I say this because I agree with the people above and that this is stress and corys should be kept with 5-6 of their own kind. This might help it be a little less stressed as they seek safety in numbers.You can go here to get corys and other stuff for your fish. Just a recommendation...

I live in Colorado as well and there is a place called the fish den in which you could get more corys. I say this because I agree with the people above and that this is stress and corys should be kept with 5-6 of their own kind. This might help it be a little less stressed as they seek safety in numbers.You can go here to get corys and other stuff for your fish. Just a recommendation...
I am totally open to adding more, but they've been fine for years as a trio. Thank you for the tip on the shop! I'm so glad to 'meet' other CO folks on here. After many years, you think it's possible that they'd need more corys? I'd love to get into their little brains.

I am totally open to adding more, but they've been fine for years as a trio. Thank you for the tip on the shop! I'm so glad to 'meet' other CO folks on here. After many years, you think it's possible that they'd need more corys? I'd love to get into their little brains.
I mean it could help but then again it could screw up the pecking order of your fish tank so it’s sort of a gamble. If they seem fine then I don’t think you need to add any more. I was just suggesting that you get more to help the little guy de-stress

After many years, you think it's possible that they'd need more corys?
They probably wouldn’t shoal with the new ones at first, but it’s worth a try.

Could just be old age. 5-6 years is at the tail end for a Cory to live, so it’s possible it is indeed old age.

Could just be old age. 5-6 years is at the tail end for a Cory to live, so it’s possible it is indeed old age.
Actually, peppered cories have a life span of 10–15 years if cared for properly. I use to breed them.

Yeah I agree, like I said it could screw with the pecking order and make a mess out of your tank. It’s honestly up to you what you would want to do.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back