Peppered Catfish...how Many...makes A Happy Shoal?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PlecMama

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've read 3 and I've read 6 - our lfs had ONE on it's own in the tank :( he's now in my tank, but I need to find some buddies for him so he doesn't get freaked out. I put him in with the plecs so he would at least have some company and he seems to be a little less weirded out.

Now, I can get the lfs to order me some, but how many? Should I go for 5 more to make up 6? How many would you recommend I keep together to keep them sane and happy.

We are relocating the plecs soon, the new sailfin and Nessie are staying in the big tank for now (change of plan from putting the sailfin in his own tank) the three other tiny plecs are moving to their own tank and the cats are staying with the big two.

When the 6ft tank arrives, the big two and the cat shoal will be going in there.

*****Updated*****

Well, we were sold it as our first cory, we didn't know what it was.....so as per this post, I ordered 7 more peppered catfish to be his little buddies, and when they arrived they are completely different :lol: looks like we got a a Bronze in the first place.

The good news is, they seem to be shoaling together and everyone looks happy enough. Very cute little guys....

i have 1 peppered and 1 albino they get on fine but the more the better

Hi SuzieQPlecMama :)

Realistically, even having two is better than keeping just one, but the more corys you have together, the more natural it is for them, and the more relaxed and active they get.

Since they are defenseless schooling fish, which naturally stay in quite large groups, they become lonely and shy when they are alone. They are very playful fish that enjoy each other's company and interact with each other more than most other kinds of fish. You will enjoy having them, I'm sure. :D

IMO, 3 is the absolute minimum but ideally 4-6 is better and of course, the more you can get and want, you should get. :D I'm going to be almost doubling the numbers of my Pandas, Peppered, Three Line and Schwartz's once I get my 55 bought and set up. I currently have two and three of each species, the twos because one of the trio I bought died over the years or because I couldn't find anymore of them. I'm going to be trying to get three more Skunks to go with the one I recovered from an LFS.

*****Updated*****

Well, we were sold it as our first cory, we didn't know what it was.....so as per this post, I ordered 7 more peppered catfish to be his little buddies, and when they arrived they are completely different :lol: looks like we got a a Bronze in the first place.

The good news is, they seem to be shoaling together and everyone looks happy enough. Very cute little guys....

Hi SuzieQPlecMama :)

I bet your little cory was happy to see them! :wub:

Of course, now you will want to get a few bronze corys too, won't you? :unsure:

See, this is how MTS starts! :hyper: :lol:

:lol:

The madness is setting in.

We're already discussed which tank to but the peppereds in so we can make room for a shoal of Bronze :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back